• CSX delays due to recent winter weather

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by northjerseybuff

I know this has been an unusually cold/snowy winter which has added to the CSX delays of trains across NY. With little snow this past week I was surprised to hear the River sub dispatcher say several sidings have outlawed trains. Q271 won't even make it out of Jersey without a recrew. Is this all weather related stuff or is CSX at capacity with all the oil trains and limited capacity along the river sub?
  by RailBus63

I've noticed this week what seems like a higher number of trains than usual stopped on one of the main tracks behind the New York State fairgrounds in Syracuse, as well as trains stopped on the main next to the Wegmans on James St. in East Syracuse.
  by lakeshoredave

i've heard that trains have been detouring via indy and east st louis due to problems all winter in chicago.
  by SecaucusJunction

And to think... the problems have actually gotten better this week. Trains were spending 12+ hours at CP10 a week or so ago. They keep saying it is "crew shortages". Hopefully when the extra capacity opens this year, things will get better. Traffic is only going to increase for the next several years.
  by CPSD40-2

Last week, I took Amtrak from Syracuse to Penn Station Wednesday morning, and then back Friday afternoon. I take the train back and forth every two weeks, and this was by far the longest delays I have ever had. On the way down, a CSX freight went into emergency about 20 miles or so West of Utica, and along with trains stacking up behind and next to us, we sat for nearly an hour. On the way back, the crew told us there were "signal issues" near Canastota, and we were held up for at least 45 minutes. The radio chatter was non-stop with other trains being stopped nearby, and we passed two freights sitting on the main so we could move on into Syracuse. Seems like it was a bad week, if you throw crew shortages into the mix as well.
  by Matt Langworthy

There was an issue with at least one defect detector on CSX yesterday, which resulted in a 30 mph speed restriction in greater Rochester. I do not know if it was weather related, but it seems possible.
  by Railjunkie

CSX issued EC1 for 30mph on all detectors for Mohawk ect. due to weather.