• CSX covered hopper in Chessie paint

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by scooter3798

There are still a TON of these cars still around. I know in Cumberland there is always at least 15 or 20 of them almost all of the time. There are quite a few that go from there over to Hancock, WV for sand coming off of the Berkley Springs branch. There are also still quite a few 2 bays running around wearing B&O and C&O logos. Yesterday alone I saw 5 cars wearing B&O capital domes and two with C&O for progress logos, one still had C&O reporting marks. I am by no means complaining though, those Chessie cars are always a treat to see, and they usually provide some interesting examples of extreme weathering. Thanks for sharing the picture as well, do you have any other interesting shots of older CSX cars as well?

Scooter

by mu26aeh

I too was going to ask the significance of this picture. I still see alot of these cars, as mentioned before, with CSX reporting #'s, sometimes B&O here on the Hanover Sub in southern PA. Most of them are going to ISP near Blue Ridge Summit, PA. They mine and manufacture grit for roofing shingles. If I remember correctly, they get served in both directions, I could be wrong. It is a difficult place to find and more difficult to get good railroad photos(I don't think they like railfans there)

by chuchubob

They're not common in South Jersey.

by Lincoln78

This will probably lead to an "oh duh" moment.

Does the Chessie logo represent anvthing special? I can't pick any geographical features out of it, and cannot really make it into a cat.

/Grew up in New England. B&M, NH and T logos were easy to figure out.

by scooter3798

The Chessie logo is of Chessie the sleeping railroad kitten. For more info check out this link

http://www.cohs.org/history/chessie.htm

Scooter

P.S. A common addition to these cars is the painting of eyes and a nose to the logo by graffiti artists.

by Lincoln78

Thanks!! That picture made it very clear.

On to the next puzzler..

by scharnhorst

I see Chessie Cars on the Finger Lakes Railroad all the time. They take them to a Bottleing Plant in Auburn, NY 5 some times 6 days a week.

by Will_S

When it comes to viewing the full panoply of CSX predecessor schemes on covered hoppers, the old Rock Island sub through Ottawa, Illinois is as good a place as any. Most are for hauling silica and they make up the majority of all CSX consists. Chessie with and without patches, Conrail, Seaboard System, SCL, Family Lines, and an occasional B&O are almost as common as cars in CSX paint. There are also a surprising number of Winchester and Western hoppers.

by Scotty Burkhardt

Chuchubob, If you're into those sand hoppers in pre-CSX paint you have got to see the New-Rock job on the former Rock Island next time you're in Chicago. I live about a mile from the Rock mainline and go out at least once a week to watch it, Theres nothing like a string of GP-15's pulling 120+ of those hoppers fully loaded at track speed. It's also not at all uncommon to see an unpatched caboose on the rear of this job too!

It is by far my favorite train to spot, but it seldom runs in daylight hours. Thus making photos few and far between. Railpictures has a few pics from other fans posted if you're curious to see what it looks like.

-scotty

by lvrr325

Plenty of them go north and south on the St. Lawrence Sub, or whaveter they call the old Conrail Montreal Secondary now, as well.