• CSX Coal Train: Symbol Needed

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by lakeshoredave

CSX 5309/CSX 4517 seen on a westbound empty coal train during Sunday morning near Buffalo, NY.

by charlie6017

I saw that same train at Donahue Rd in Batavia yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't make out the symbol as they called the signal at 406--sorry.......

by Conrail4evr

charlie6017 wrote:I saw that same train at Donahue Rd in Batavia yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't make out the symbol as they called the signal at 406--sorry.......
That narrows it down a lot, actually. Since Kenmore is out of the equation, it's most likely an E832 out of Rochester...but I don't know for sure.

by Conrail Cleveland East

MT coal train symbol-E823.
Cars-112.
axle count-460.
Cleared Erie,Pa,at CP-85 at 13:46.

by dutchboy

Couple of weeks ago, I saw a westbound coal going thru Fairport. Would this train be coming from Syracuse or from somewhere else?

by charlie6017

dutchboy wrote:Couple of weeks ago, I saw a westbound coal going thru Fairport. Would this train be coming from Syracuse or from somewhere else?
If not from Syracuse, it could be coming west from Tompkins Cove, maybe.

by Conrail4evr

dutchboy wrote:Couple of weeks ago, I saw a westbound coal going thru Fairport. Would this train be coming from Syracuse or from somewhere else?
Probably empties coming out of the plant in Solvay (E823, the same train mentioned earlier). E473, E828, and E849 are River Line empty coal trains, although I honestly don't recall EVER hearing one of these symbols. For that matter, I've only caught a River Line bound coal train once (V806) - you're far more likely to see V786 or V790 with coal for Rochester or a V815 with coal for Solvay.

That's not to say that River Line coal trains don't run this way, but from my experiences, they're few and far between compared to the many going to/from Rochester and Solvay.

by lakeshoredave

They ran a V815 the other night....it came into Buffalo around 0100 hrs. I'd say seeing the V815 is about as rare as KCS, IC, MRL, or UP Heritage Units on any eastern road.

Lakeshore Dave

by Conrail4evr

lakeshoredave wrote:They ran a V815 the other night....it came into Buffalo around 0100 hrs. I'd say seeing the V815 is about as rare as KCS, IC, MRL, or UP Heritage Units on any eastern road.

Lakeshore Dave
I've caught V815 numerous times...