• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CSX Conductor

CSXT in years past has had everything stopped and tied down Wednesday night until late Thursday night so crews aren't working on the holiday. Trains that are en-route Wednesday night are tied-down at major terminals (Selkirk, Dewitt, Buffalo) and crews are deadheaded home. The night of the holiday spare crews are used to move the trains or crews are dead-headed to move them, or take rest in the hotel for their return train on Friday since no trains originate Thursday night.
  by NaDspr

I had lunch at the Steaming Tender in Palmer yesterday with 2 retired engineers (both originally PC guys - 1 retired from Amtrak and the other CSX last year and another CSX dispatcher). Palmer was a hopping place between 1:30 and 4 pm. Saw Amtrak 449, 55 and 56, B740, and 4 road freights as well as a New England Central move. Had seats by the windows to keep tabs on all the action.
  by atsf sp

I saw a consist this afternoon in Worcester with a CW40-8 Conrail and a C40-8 CSX behind that with two units in front. Did anyone catch the numbers on the engines of this train especially the Crail colored?
  by CSX Conductor

Hey NA, I'll need to make another review trip BOS-SPG to keep my B&A qualifications up next month, you buying lunch? I loved picking up Palmer on Q427, especially with K.H. as my conductor because once we were back to our train I had plenty of time to get a burger while waiting for him to get back to the head-end, lol.
  by budd5670

Wheres the best place to be on Washington Hill on CSX's Boston and Albany line to get full effect of the lead and helpers putting out their best noise and power??!!! I know theres a certain town and road name, but I can't remember.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

please keep all questions regarding the B&A to this topic...you'll get a quick answer ;)
  by superwarp1

What's the scoop with the new viaduct in Westfield, when will it be ready for trains and when will the entire project be done. I was in the general area Thursday and was surprised to hear a train in the AM. Figured there would be no traffic unless it was Amtrak.
  by jaymac

Ahh, the juxtaposition of "No Trespassing" and "Welcome!"
"But, officer, I read left to right, and the last sign I read welcomed me!" Don't think that will be a valid defense.
  by roberttosh

How many Intermodal trains are there in and out of Boston on a daily basis? It used to be several just a couple years back, but now it's just 2 or 3 I believe. Any info would be appreciated - thanks!
  by CSX Engineer 98

roberttosh wrote:How many Intermodal trains are there in and out of Boston on a daily basis? It used to be several just a couple years back, but now it's just 2 or 3 I believe. Any info would be appreciated - thanks!
Inbound: Q-168, Q-172, Q or L-122, (Q-114 (lite power) sometimes into Beacon but terminates in Worcester)

Outbound: Q-115, Q-117 (lite engine to Worcester) Q-119

Boston (CSX) Terminal Beacon park will be gone (no more) in 2-3 years CSX is going to abolish the 1st, 3rd and relief Yardmaster positions (before Jan 1st 2010)

Business will appear to be growing in Boston as the E.Worchester UPS terminal gets Expanded "increased in size" and upon compleation, Beacon Park will be .........abandoned and turned over to the MBCR

Flexi Flow: has 3 possibilitys of relocation (westboro or Framingham) and a long shot (CSX Loss) to the G&U in a new Facility thats being built as we speak.

no mention as to the 2 other freight Customers that beacon park yard jobs service as to there relocation..?????
  by frrc

Wondering where all the trailvan traffic that is set off at Beacon Park will go, once the yard is closed. Set off @ Worcester or Westboro and then (agh) trucked to Boston ?
  by CSX Engineer 98

frrc wrote:Wondering where all the trailvan traffic that is set off at Beacon Park will go, once the yard is closed. Set off @ Worcester or Westboro and then (agh) trucked to Boston ?
Worcester yard is going to be expanded to except the Boston Van traffic

Westboro is not big enough (trackage wise) to be a possibility for Intermodel traffic it is a possible site for the Beacon park Flexi flow site with a possibility of its own locomotive to inter plant switch is the word (like the Brookfield auto site)
  by jaymac

Does that mean another East Brookfield & Spencer-type operation?