• CSX Activity in New England

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by QB 52.32

I think Leroy will have to be bought out, if he hasn't been already, to support expansion of un/loading track capacity eastward. And, that is a critical need for any expansion of intermodal in E. Worcester.
The siting of this "yard mtce facility" is planned for east of Putnam Lane, as far east as you can go before entering the deep cut under Plantation St.

Perhaps they'll maintain a UPS gate somewhere on Franklin St. that wouldn't require them to run roundabout the city streets to get to their Rt 20 faciltity....unless they're planning that UPS would make the right, head east on I-290 up to Rt 140 south to their facility. But, that's a ways around and puts those trucks through the heart of Shrewsbury center. I'd guess they've already thought about it and have a plan.
  by frrc

QB 52.32 wrote:I think Leroy will have to be bought out, if he hasn't been already, to support expansion of un/loading track capacity eastward. And, that is a critical need for any expansion of intermodal in E. Worcester.
The siting of this "yard mtce facility" is planned for east of Putnam Lane, as far east as you can go before entering the deep cut under Plantation St.

Perhaps they'll maintain a UPS gate somewhere on Franklin St. that wouldn't require them to run roundabout the city streets to get to their Rt 20 faciltity....unless they're planning that UPS would make the right, head east on I-290 up to Rt 140 south to their facility. But, that's a ways around and puts those trucks through the heart of Shrewsbury center. I'd guess they've already thought about it and have a plan.
Actually I've seen UPS trucks leaving the CSX yard, and hopping onto I-290, then taking the Rt 40 exit to Rt 20. It's a faster route at times than weaving through Worcester. UPS runs their business via some "time management" system where if they can save a few minutes on a trip, they'll do it. A friend of mine works for UPS and they have things down to a science, even figuring out how long it takes for the driver to stop, make a delivery to a residence/business, and head for the next
delivery. Beyond efficient in some cases...
  by QB 52.32

Latest on the proposed closing of Putnam Lane to facilitate a new CSX intermodal facility in Worcester:

http://www.telegram.com/article/2010032 ... 50653/1101

Detailed plans, including terminal conceptual design, on Worcester's website:

http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/uploads/9 ... ansion.pdf

Of note: facility will go to crane operation (though I have to wonder if they'll retain packers for cherry-picking hot inbounds/late gate outbounds for UPS) and closing Putnam Lane is to facilitate extending un/loading tracks eastward. As discussed, Delaware Express relocated elsewhere.
  by frrc

Re: Telegram Article. Even though CSX has come up with no less than 6 options to closing Putnam lane, the locals are still opposed to closing said road. The NIMBY's rule in this scenario....
  by atsf sp

Where are the engine facilities going to be? I do not see them on the proposals.
  by Dick H

Due the flooding in Rhode Island, Amtrak will be running
three pairs of trains between New York and Boston via
the Hartford-Springfield Route on Friday, April 2nd.
Here's the Amtrak notice:
April 1, 2010
7:00 pm EDT

Amtrak Acela Express service between New Haven and Boston will remain suspended through tomorrow (April 2), due to on-going flooding on the tracks near Kingston, Rhode Island.

Amtrak has confirmed three Northeast Regional round-trips will operate between New York and Boston via Hartford and Springfield (the "Inland Route"), offering coach, business class and café service. Passengers should be advised that their travel time will be longer than normal due to the deviation in the normal route and a brief hold at the New Haven station to facilitate the change from electric to diesel locomotives.
  by frrc

atsf sp wrote:Where are the engine facilities going to be? I do not see them on the proposals.
Near the Eastern end of the yard(?) I've heard. From reading articles in the Worcester papers, there is major NIMBY opposition to the facility going here, as it's "residentialy zoned" ? Here's the latest article on the
proposed yard expansion, it does mention new buildings...

http://www.telegram.com/article/2010040 ... 1101/local
  by QB 52.32

If you go to the City of Worcester link I posted on 3/25, above, and scroll down 12 or 13 pages to the 3rd slide of the conceptual plan for this E Worcester facility showing the extreme east end and the proposed mtce. facility, it does not show engine or car facilities. Appears to be mtce facility for the lift equipment and yard tractors.
  by CSX Conductor

frrc wrote:
QB 52.32 wrote: UPS runs their business via some "time management" system ....................... they have things down to a science............
Down to a science, except for relying on CSXT.
  by CSX Conductor

atsf sp wrote:Where are the engine facilities going to be? I do not see them on the proposals.
Maybe CSXT isn't planning on having any. They don't need them, the power that lays over in Worcester now doesn't. Calendar day inspections & fueling would be done at Selkirk as it is done now. Now that I think of it, the company probably won't build engine facilities to save money...a) no expense on building any facilities....b) no employees working in the facilities means saving money on payroll. No brainer, they probably won't build any.
  by 130MM

CSX Conductor wrote:
Maybe CSXT isn't planning on having any. They don't need them, the power that lays over in Worcester now doesn't. Calendar day inspections & fueling would be done at Selkirk as it is done now. Now that I think of it, the company probably won't build engine facilities to save money...a) no expense on building any facilities....b) no employees working in the facilities means saving money on payroll. No brainer, they probably won't build any.
Mr. Conductor, what effect would the closing of the engine facility at Beacon Park have? I assume that when Beacon Park is closed that facility will be closed as well.

DAW
  by Mcoov

CSX is going to look for a new location for their yard in Boston. Right?
  by CSX Conductor

130MM wrote:Mr. Conductor, what effect would the closing of the engine facility at Beacon Park have? I assume that when Beacon Park is closed that facility will be closed as well.

DAW
I would assume as well that the engine house at Beacon Park wiill close as the company is looking to pull out of Boston altogether it seems. The Beacon Park engine house is light duty, minor repairs and refueling/sanding.
  by atsf sp

The house does more railcar repairs. The engines are refueled and sanded. Sometimes engines go there before retirement such CSX/C&O 6828. Also engines with minor problems lay over there such as 5001 AC6000CW did for about 2 weeks.
  by 130MM

CSX Conductor wrote:
130MM wrote:Mr. Conductor, what effect would the closing of the engine facility at Beacon Park have? I assume that when Beacon Park is closed that facility will be closed as well.

DAW
I would assume as well that the engine house at Beacon Park wiill close as the company is looking to pull out of Boston altogether it seems. The Beacon Park engine house is light duty, minor repairs and refueling/sanding.
Would that work be done at Worcester? W. Springfield? somewhere else?

DAW