• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Shortline614

Looking at a June 2020 CP system map, they have haulage rights between Mechanicsville and Ayer, although I don't know if these are used or not.

CP taking over PAR's 50% stake in PAS makes plenty of sense, especially if they are so concerned about the health of the Hossac Tunnel Route post-transaction; however, I don't expect them too. CP needs all the money they can get for their bidding war against CN for KCS, and spending upwards of 100-200 million to acquire 50% of PAS just seems like a bad decision right now. Under different circumstances I would say otherwise.

Also CP's declaration that the Green Mountain Gateway is inferior to a D&H-PAS routing via Mechanicsville (and CP's possible intention to buy CSX's (nee PAR's) 50% in PAS) must terrify VRS. VRS had previously opposed the transaction because 5 out of 7 of their interchange points would be with G&W-owned roads (B&E and NECR respectably). The thought of traffic though those two remaining interchange points drying up because that all-important bridge traffic simply found a better route is almost a knockout blow to VRS. All of VRS's connections would become openly hostile. What that bodes for the future of freight rail transportation in Vermont is grim, to say the least.
  by hrsn

Shortline614 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:23 am CP taking over PAR's 50% stake in PAS makes plenty of sense, especially if they are so concerned about the health of the Hossac Tunnel Route post-transaction...[snip]. Also CP's declaration that the Green Mountain Gateway is inferior to a D&H-PAS routing via Mechanicsville (and CP's possible intention to buy CSX's (nee PAR's) 50% in PAS) must terrify VRS. ...What that bodes for the future of freight rail transportation in Vermont is grim, to say the least.
The Green Mountain Gateway, as rinky-dink as it is (anticipating Mr. Norman's evaluation), is surely superior to any non-CSX controlled route responding to a major Hoosac Tunnel collapse.
  by newpylong

It's superior only because it is the only one without detouring into the next solar system to get around it.

The CP filing is interesting because they are only interchanging a handful of cars with PAS since NS took the south end over. They either have growth in mind or simply don't want their trackage tied up with eastbound PAS traffic worse than it is now.

I always thought CP would be a logical PAS 50% owner or operator given their system map.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Newpy, Class 2 plus Hoosac; isn't that enough to scare anyone such as CP away?

Honestly, how can barriers such as noted encourage anyone to think they have a routing for high value traffic competitive with Chessie and her B&A?

Finally, when you were in service, weren't you just as glad to have your train out of Hoosac?
  by CN9634

I mean just read the filing.

CP conceptually is a good fit but in practicality I don't think it would happen. Stranger things have, but there have been plenty of opportunities I'd think to get in already. We'll know a bit more by Tuesday the fate of CP anyhow.
  by Red Wing

How much Money does CP have to throw at CSX? Between buying CMQ and the KCS drama what's there? I would say after CP doesn't get KCS, I bet they would make an offer on PAS
  by Shortline614

CP did say they would submit their own parallel application to aquire KCS, so even if the STB approves the CN-KCS voting trust, CP will still fight to hell and back for CP.

While I do think CP acquiring PAS makes some sort of sense, I don't know how willing CP is to get back into the Northeast after the D&H. I know some will say they've shown the willingness with the CMQ, but in reality that's an entirely separate market than the rest of the region. Ayer-Mechanicsville seems too "out of the way" to matter all that much in CP's network.
  by newpylong

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:59 pm Mr. Newpy, Class 2 plus Hoosac; isn't that enough to scare anyone such as CP away?

Honestly, how can barriers such as noted encourage anyone to think they have a routing for high value traffic competitive with Chessie and her B&A?

Finally, when you were in service, weren't you just as glad to have your train out of Hoosac?
PAS is a tie and resurface job away from Class 3 and it was so in 2009 when PAS was formed and NS came up and did the track blitz. They were going Mechanicville to Ayer in 5 hours. A ton of new rail paid for by NS has been installed but PAS refuses to maintain the road bed beyond Class 2 and NS doesn't push them.

Out of all North American operators I think CP is likely the last one to shy away from tunnel engineering challenges. They got plenty of em, and monsters.

I was happy to get out of the tunnel because of the smoke more than anything. When it was 10 MPH the exhaust would actually travel the same speed or ahead of the train slightly. Pusher service was even worse...we're talking wet rags over your mouth and nose.

I don't see it happening, as mentioned they've been close before. Looking at a map it just seems a logical extension of their system into southern New England and more non-organic growth should KCS not work out. Would be entirely different service lanes than the B&A.
  by Gilbert B Norman

newpylong wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 pm I was happy to get out of the tunnel because of the smoke more than anything. When it was 10 MPH the exhaust would actually travel the same speed or ahead of the train slightly. Pusher service was even worse...we're talking wet rags over your mouth and nose.
Mr. Newpy, I read your captioned quote to suggest, and considering your on-the-ground experience, that with $$$ and expertise, Hoosac could be rebuilt to handle 20ft high tri-levels without undue concern for property or, more important, the health and safety of persons.
  by newpylong

I unfortunately have no clue what the results were of the engineering study to increase the clearance (again) to accommodate 21'.
  by CN9634

Lots of STB docs uploaded today as comments are due… probably some more to go. A lot of the “objections” look to be nothing-burgers to me, the MBTA “demands” are like…. Uhhh ok? All the fuss for nothing IMO
  by newpylong

As expected, the state of VT has the most concern. As the VRS is a quasi-governmental entity anyway, it should come as no surprise.

Some good letters of support though.
  by CN9634

What a bu ch of goons. They say they oppose, but then say “this transaction can be saved if” the STB assigns another carrier access to the gateways. If only VTRANS knew of a capable short line operator not owned by GWI already in this region…. What I’ve learned in life is if you complain about something but don’t become part of the solution then you won’t be taken seriously.

The correct filing would have been support the transaction only if VRS gets assigned trackage rights to Mechanicville and Rotterdam Jct. Annnndddd done.
  by newpylong

From an operational perspective, that surely would be easier for PAS. It is a royal PITA to work Hoosick Junction for a road job or local. I am sure the operational folks would love to just let VRS go west, but maybe the bean counters don't want to lose that much of their cut? I guess they could just make their cut larger...