Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

I'm trying to figure out why the EMD roster has 2 engines listed for CSS 1502.. xC&O 5705 and xC&O 5743 Also, they don't have a listing for CSS 1505. Which is which?

Next issue...Sw9 206..supposedly an x Colorado and Wyoming unit but I can't find any info on it.

by Tadman

The SW9 was a shops critter, and to my knowledge it was always painted red/white. I can't seem to find any photos of it, but it was likely gone by 2000. Ask one of the older hands out there about it, and you're likely find an answer.

by CSXT 700

Here is the 206, sorry I dont know when it departed, but it is now the switcher at the elevator, in Fowlerville, Mi.

by PRRGuy

Thanks!

I don't think South Shore had that engine that long, the only picture I've seen of it was dated 1990. Wasn't the Co&Wy a subsitiary of CB&Q? I'm trying to find it's builder date and number.

Also, I checked into that "CSS 1502" at a number of museums in St Thomas...no one has a GP7 let alone a C&O unit that i can find.

by Tadman

try it the other way around - I seem to remember a shortline called Wyoming & Colorado, and they had some bright red F7's. Maybe that's what you're looking for.

by PRRGuy

Nothin...I guess that loco's history will just have to stay hidden for another time...

Ok, here's another ?

How many F45 did the CSS have, and how long did they have em?

by Tadman

I believe there was three, they were never repainted, they were in TERRIBLE shape, and they were returned to BN or whomever sold them initially within a few weeks, because they died continually. Dead coal trains on a tightly scheduled passenger line does not work for long.

Edit: from an email sent to me by a guy on the freight side...

Yes, they got 5 or 6 in '85 or 86' just after Venango River took over. All
were still in BN colors. A friend at the Shops said, they managed to get 1
running and it died before they could get out of Michigan City. They did not
stay long after that.

by byte

According the the guy who writes HTotHI, the electricals were corroded and pretty much shot because of the high-moisture weather they were used in while working for BN in the pacific northwest. I've never heard of that before, but it certainly seems feasible.

by PRRGuy

Interesting..

In case you've been wondering why I'm asking so many questions as of late...I'm attempting to make a roster of all present and former South Shore motive power. So far I've found all 3 ex fec GP7's and 3 of the 8 C&O GP7's, and I'm working on the history of the 206 right now.

by PRRGuy

Ok, I asked the same ? about the 206 on another forum and received an interesting answer..." The history of this loco is built as Colorado & Wyoming # 206 in 12/51 as an SW8 # 15742." I checked on the emd roster site and it matched up..I guess this means that the Morning Sun book could be *GASP* wrong....reminds me of another error..(the North Shore Caboose photos in the latest South Shore book)