• Crossovers & recovered track

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by farecard

SandBoxJohn's track schematic shows two crossovers between Wheaton and Glenmont. What was the rationale for that?

At a "Meet your Line Manager" event a year+ ago, an employee mentioned they were going to reconnect the now-abandoned original Track-1 segment adjacent to New York Ave. and use it for storage. Has anyone else heard that?
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
SandBoxJohn's track schematic shows two crossovers between Wheaton and Glenmont. What was the rationale for that?

The schematic is deceiving because it is not to scale. The crossover north of Wheaton is immediately adjacent to the station. The crossover south of Glenmont is immediately adjacent to the station and is used the relay trains at the Glenmont terminal station. The centers of the two crossovers are 2.37 mile (12,550') apart.

There are many areas of the newer part of the system that have crossovers that are closer together.

The crossover north of Forest Glen is closer to the crossover north of Wheaton (7,170') 1.35 miles then the crossover south of Glenmont, the distance between crossover west Largo and the crossover west Morgan Boulevard is (7,250') 1.37 miles, the distance between crossover west of Southern Avenue and the crossover west of Naylor Road is (7,840') 1.48 miles. . .

At a "Meet your Line Manager" event a year+ ago, an employee mentioned they were going to reconnect the now-abandoned original Track-1 segment adjacent to New York Ave. and use it for storage. Has anyone else heard that?

It is my understanding that the now abandoned track B1 adjacent to the New York Avenue station was not connect to the main line as originally planed to reduce project costs.
  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote: The schematic is deceiving because it is not to scale. The crossover north of Wheaton is immediately adjacent to the station. The crossover south of Glenmont is immediately adjacent to the station and is used the relay trains at the Glenmont terminal station. The centers of the two crossovers are 2.37 mile (12,550') apart.

There are many areas of the newer part of the system that have crossovers that are closer together.
I wasn't thinking distance. That seems to be the sole case where 2 crossovers exist in a row. Every other case has a station between.

I guess they saw a need at Wheaton, and also had such at the yard....
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
I wasn't thinking distance. That seems to be the sole case where 2 crossovers exist in a row. Every other case has a station between.

That is correct. Wheaton was a temporary terminal for almost 8 years, 11 22 1990 to 07 25 1998

I guess they saw a need at Wheaton, and also had such at the yard....

There are pair of crossovers in the tunnel north of the Glenmont station similar in configuration to the crossovers south of Branch Avenue, only difference they are further from the platform.