• Crescentville station on R8

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by bkbergen

I was recently looking at an old septa map and I noticed a Crescentville station on the R8. does anyone know where this station was. I grew up in Lawncrest and have walked those tracks numerous times but never recalled seeing a station or remnents of a station down near Adams ave overpass.

by whovian

If you ever right an R8 Fox Chase northbound, after leaving Olney station there's a pretty good straighaway. It was just before the first left handed curve you encounter. I haven't been up there in a while, but you may still see where the catenary wires crossover, that is where the old crossover(s) were. I have to admit that Crescentville was gone before my time on the railroad. I'm not sure that is was a passenger station, but I could be wrong.

by westernfalls

Crescentville was an outbound-only station on the New York Short Line, on the curve beyond Adams Ave.; passenger service disappeared in the April, 1978, timetable.

Crescentville was also a station on the Frankford Branch just east of Rising Sun Ave.; the inbound-only train disappeared in the April, 1958, timetable.

by aem7

Cresentville station was located at the intersection of the Short Line with Godfrey Ave, near the Boscov's store. (Adjacent to V and M auto repair) All it was, was a concrete platform that measured about 20 ft.

I had the dubious distinction of making the last passenger train stop there on a PM Fox Chase bound train. I remember it was on a Friday afternoon and was informed by the Reading Terminal trainmaster as to its terrmination. To the best of my knowledge, there never were any inbound stops made at this station nor platforms on the inbound side.

by Bill R.

AEM7,

Wouldn't it have been a much more useful station if road access from Cheltenham Avenue across Tookany Creek Park had been provided?

by aem7

Unfortunately the geography of the surrounding area (the hilly park area) didn't and still doesn't support such a project. Also I feel it's also too close to Lawndale station.