Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

Disclaimer: this is a crazy idea, I know, I admit it. But depending on a few things, it could be the temporary solution for CDOT to help pull its cars. How about, as some have been suggesting, refitting the FL9s with dual mode capability so they can be used to haul any Bomb coaches CDOT has available? Amtrak P40s could be acquired to free FL9s off branch service, both CDOT and MN owned units. But, this depends on a few things:

1. Is it a practical possibility to restore the FL9s' third rail capability at this point?

2. Are their enough FL9s left on the branch lines for NH mainline use?

3. Will the cost of acquiring and rehabbing Amtrak P40s and rehabbing FL9s be prohibitive?

4. Can all of this be completed in a fast enough time frame to make it worthwhile
(i.e., no point in bothering if it isn't going to be ready till new EMUs arrive anyway)?

If all of these are a go, then CDOT could rehab about 4 or so FL9s to add two express trains to the NH main line. It would indeed be something to see FL9s roaring again through the City. :)

by Lackawanna484

Does Amtrak have P32 dual modes available for rent? We know they need the money.

How many are needed for Empire service if the changeover to P40s is made at Harmon instead of Albany?

by Alcochaser

Agreed.... the FL9AC units are the best option

etc

by Noel Weaver

Lackawanna484 wrote:Does Amtrak have P32 dual modes available for rent? We know they need the money.

How many are needed for Empire service if the changeover to P40s is made at Harmon instead of Albany?
The above makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. Amtrak owns their
locomotives (or maybe the banks do but New York State does not).
Harmon is a very congested facility in a very congested area and a loss of
at least 15 minutes in running time between Albany and New York in each
direction is virtually guranteed and it could even be worse, especially at
busy times.
Some Amtrak trains do not even stop at Croton-Harmon.
It is not likely that the FL-9AC's are in any shape to run either, even when
they were still in service, they were quite troublesome.
Connecticut really needs to get their act together, it is their responsibility
to make something happen.
Additional MU equipment should have been ordered last year or earlier.
I forsee major problems in the next year or two with Connecticut - New
York service on Metro-North although I hope that I am wrong.
Noel Weaver

by Mr Met

how about this

Convert the CdOT Fl-9's into cabs like the lirr did with there FA-1,2's, and F7's and drop Acess thing for the VRE cars and buy a Amtrak P40 and use a Fl-9 as the cab car

by roee

Mr Met wrote:how about this

Convert the CdOT Fl-9's into cabs like the lirr did with there FA-1,2's, and F7's and drop Acess thing for the VRE cars and buy a Amtrak P40 and use a Fl-9 as the cab car
So sort of run it like an Amtrak Cabbage car?

by RedSoxSuck

So what was CT planning on doing? Did they just ignore the fact that equiment ages and look the other way?

Also, how in the hell could they spend 14 million on the VRE cars and not realize until AFTER they bought them that they didn't have the locos to haul them?!?! Somone PLEASE tell me that there is something else here, or else, CDOT was just asking for it!