Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by de402

Hello railfans, MNR is retirning it's ACMU's. Why not convert them to push pull and bring them to the LIRR? They look good and they could be used to "augment" the ailing C-3 & DE/DM's? I'd think they'd be great on the GY Scoot and Montauk trains, but hey what do I know (I'll take those comments off line :-D ).

From the crazy and not tried before.. Could a M1/3 be denutted and made into a trailer car to be hauled by a diesel?

Rgrds

DE402

by Nasadowsk

Actually, I joked on the trip that the LIRR should take the ACMUS for Babylon service and give MN a like # of M-7s :)

Oh yes - I've noticed something - 1/2 the fleet is M-7s. That's not the 1/2 I inevitably end up on ;)
  by bingdude

Yes the ACMUs probably would make great Greenport Scoot cars.

But they are riveted on the roof and made from steel that rusts. Within two years they would look worse than the old MP-70s.

by LI Loco

The ACMUs, like their contemporaries, the LIRR World's Fair cars, served well, but it's time to move on. Save a few for the museums - one in NYC green and one in Metro North gray and blue - and move on.

by 7 Train

The ACMUs are more like P72s. Both were Pullmans.

by LI Loco

Who built the World's Fair cars?? It surely wasn't Budd.

by Liquidcamphor

IMHO, I don't think using M1/3's for diesel coaches should be included in "Crazy Ideas". It's a great idea. The problem is the 21st Century LIRR. The planners on the LIRR are convinced that, whatever they did before was bad and everything that is done today is good. The thought of not having billions available to spend on their "dream" trains, and having to resort to recycling 150 or so out of the thousand MU's that are being replaced, is unthinkable

We get these stupid speeches about "if we do what we've always done, we'll get what we've always got", when we have to requalify and they tell this to new hires. That amongst other, nickle and dime slogans new people are subjected to.

I've been on the LIRR for a long time now, and everytime I hear this, I'm wondering what exactly they think we did wrong years ago when we were a real railroad.

The LIRR I hired on to, would have, in a pinch, used a Yard Switcher to pull a train, just to fulfill the schedule. Today, the modern, sophisticated LIRR will cancel it if one of those rolling monstrosities they call locomotives aren't available.

I couldn't imagine the new LIRR ever recycling used MU's for diesel coaches. Is it a bad idea..no. But, it would change the symetric look of their fleet and to have some cars double-deckers and some single level mixed together in one train..gasp..they would pass out at Hillside at the thought!

by 9C1LT1

P-75 -Worlds Fair MU's- & P-72's were originally built by Pullman. Budd built the M-1 & M-3's. To sum it up, MN is run WAY better then the LIRR! All LIRR needed was Genesis and Bomb cars not some fancy custom built thing. Also they NEED to put some color back into stuff. Look at CDOT's paint job...

-Barry

by 7 Train

P72s were from 1955-56, ACMUs date from 1963.

by jayrmli

The P-75 Zip cars were built in 1962-63 I believe, in time for the World's Fair. They are very similar in appearance to the ACMUs, which were built around the same time.

Jay

by JoeLIRR

Jay, Any hope in RMLI being able to deal with MN to salvage the good seats that are in the ACMU's. there are plenty to choose from. lets not make a real BIG mistake and not even attempt to get the seats. thoes seats would make the pullmans look muchbetter inside. (the clostest to origional) well get for low cost.

Common, Guys. this is a golden operitunity. lets make somthing out of it..

also, if we can get a ACMU to save, even better. but lets really concentrate on thoes seats. once there gone thell be gone forever.