• CR App - Was this a typical experience?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by lo2e

Hello all, I'm relatively new here but I'm fascinated with "behind-the-scenes" things with regards to trains, especially the MBTA and Amtrak (I live in Maine).

I was in Boston recently and had an experience on the Commuter Rail between 128 and Back Bay that I wasn't sure was typical. I downloaded the CR ticket app on my phone and paid for round trip tickets for me and my wife. In both directions (first was 128-BBY then vice versa), I "activated" the tickets on the app and went to show the conductor when he came around, and he didn't even take a close look at my phone to verify that I did, in fact, purchase two tickets for each leg of the trip, he took a very quick glance from a few feet away and then moved on down the car. As I said, this happened the same way in both directions with different conductors each direction.

So is this typical of what happens on the CR when using the app? Are there any plans for the conductors to use a phone or something to lift eTickets in the future like Amtrak does? It seemed odd to me that neither conductor made any effort to ensure there were two tickets paid for instead of just one.
  by leviramsey

I've had maybe one instance of riding with a companion where the conductor checked that 2 tickets were active.
Last edited by CRail on Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
  by nomis

If you have multiple tickets activated on the new version of the phone, there are dots near the top of the screen showing that there are multiple tickets that can be viewed by swiping left or right.