• CP/D&H Discussion - New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nysw136

I saw that Autorack train sitting on the Buffalo Runner waiting to leave the CP on Weds. morning around noon. Also CP 935 (NS 23K) was real late into Binghamton and sat at QD for several hours at least until 2:30pm. That train was real long though as the headend was at QD and the rear end was right at the signal for End of Main Track.
  by K4Pacific

The 935 (23K) was late today (Friday) as well. It went by CP-Erwin at 1430. Any ideas on the CP side? Also, does anybody have info on a large ballest train off NS? Was it for Mechanicsville?
  by conrailsharedassets

K4Pacific,

The CP TEC train ("THE TRAIN FROM THE DEPTH'S OF FIERY HELL") has caused a complete nightmare on the D&H. There is slow orders all over the place and plenty of outlawed trains along the line... I'm sure this has factored in to the severe delays trains (including 934/935 (22/23K) have been taking. CP has alot of materials in place to fix/upgrade alot of these areas along with other areas that aern't yet a problem. Hopefully in the next few months things will be straightened out! Although it appears that CP has been curfewing operations this past week as MOW work continues (this maybe a regular occurance throughout the MOW season). At least South out of Binghamton, I'm not sure about North out of Binghamton though.

Finally, NS did indeed operate a hopper train North up the CP Sunbury Sub and into Binghamton yesterday. They had NS 8916 (C40-9W) and NS 7074 (GP 50 Hi Hood) for power with 78 NS 3 bay 100 ton hoppers. Although it appeared the cars were empty when the train passed me on the D&H. I wish I knew where this thing was going and what for, but I really have no idea.

Progress on Mechanicville has been swift and I imagine that rail work within the facility can't be too far off from starting if it already hasnt...

Jim Cerulli
cprsunburysub yahoo group Moderator
  by nysw136

Drove over Terrace Drive in Conklin today after last week's crossing rehab. Interesting that they put in the more expensive concrete crossing for both runners rather than the normal blacktop/wood timber crossing.
  by malfunctjct

Cheaper than replacing it every few years. Terrace and Powers Rd have both been replaced a few times over the past ten years. This will hopefully hold up a little longer. Especially since they did a full replacement rather then just digging up old black top and putting new down.
  by K4Pacific

Another great read on the journey of NS on CP from the winter. http://the-1-wayward-son.blogspot.com/2 ... pring.html

It's a good read from an engineer.

The weather turned to near-blizzard on the way out of the old home terminal one wintry Friday. The whole world seemed to be shutting down as the snow piled up and the wind turned from howling to out-and-out screaming but we eventually made it to our temporary home and settled in. We were figuring on being trapped up north for the weekend but lo and behold...the phone rings at 2:45 am with a call to deadhead home by train (no long-haul crew taxis allowed in bad weather...not safe you know). The caller said we'd be riding on a foreign carrier train instead of our own which is unusual but not unheard of so I didn't think much of it. She gave us a symbol of 270 and I know I heard it right because the conductor asked her to repeat it twice to him. A local taxi was supposed to pick us up at 4:15 am to take us to the yard by 4:45 and then out to the train. Well, the cab was late because of the horrible weather so we wound up getting to the yard a little past 5. I see a train (170) pulling out but didn't know at the time that that was supposed to be our ride. The yardmaster knows nothing about us deadheading on one of his trains but says that the 270 originates at another yard considerably further south so we have to taxi another hour south to catch the thing...oh and by the way...the crew's not on duty till 7:40 am. Off we go in the cab (remember, we're deadheading by train because it's not safe to be on the road in taxis) to parts unknown. I've never even seen this other yard so we have to go with the cabby's say-so that we're in the right place. We found some engines and climbed aboard with our bags to get comfy while we waited for the crew. A warm, dry haven in the storm. As advertised, they showed up about quarter to 8 and started getting ready to head out. By now, lots of people are starting to figure out that we were supposed to be on that long-gone 170, not the 270 and that the crew caller had messed up the call by giving us the wrong train symbol. We were becoming a hot property as the conductor told us that everybody in the world had called to make sure we really were with them...
  by conrailsharedassets

This is for you K4!

I hope this helps!

CP Sunbury Subdivision Track Chart List:

CPF (Control Point Freight Main) is a term CP uses to Mark Control Points on the D&H (it dates back many years before CP purchasing the RR). M.P.'s are used for everything else.

The following list goes from Binghamton, NY South to CP Kase "Sunbury, PA":

Southend of CP's East Binghamton Yard (Conklin, NY) - (M.P. 617)

Beginning/End of Binghamton Container (Conklin, NY) - (M.P. 620.2)

Hallstead HBD/DED (Hallstead, PA) - (M.P. 627.3)

Hallstead, PA - (M.P. 627.7)

Northend New Milford Siding (Summersville, PA) - (CPF 629)

Southend New Milford Siding (Summersville, PA) - (CPF 631)

New Milford, PA (M.P. 633.45) New Milford Radio Base

Alford, PA (M.P. 639.0) Alford Radio Base

Kingsley HBD/DED (M.P. 643.20)

Kingsley, PA (M.P. 643.20) Siding for Natural Gas Waste Dirt

Kingsley Viaduct (Kingsley, PA) (M.P. 644.5)

Northend Hop Bottom Siding (Hop Bottom, PA) - (CPF 648)

Southend Hop bottom Siding (Hop Bottom, PA) - (CPF 650)

Nicholson Viaduct (Nicholson, PA) - (M.P. 653.5)

Nicholson Tunnel (Nicholson, PA) - (M.P. 655.3-M.P. 656.0)

Factoryville, PA (M.P. 656.99)

Northend Dalton Siding (La Plume, PA) - (CPF 659)

Southend Dalton Siding (Dalton, PA) - (CPF 661)

Glenburn, PA HBD/DED - (M.P. 662.0)

Clarksummit, PA (M.P. 664.4)

Steamtown "Bridge 60" (Scranton, PA) - (M.P. 671)

Northend Taylor Siding/Yard (Scranton, PA) - (CPF 672)

Southend Taylor Siding/Yard "Taylor Radio Base" (Scranton, PA) - (CPF 673)

Minooka (Taylor PA) - (M.P. 674)

CARBON (Old Forge, PA) - (M.P. 675)

Moosic, PA HBD/DED - (M.P. 676.9)

Avoca, PA (CP/L&S Interchange) - (M.P. 678.3)

Dupont, PA (CP/RBMN Junction) - (CPF 679)

Northend Yatesville Siding (Yatesville, PA) - (M.P. 682.4)

Southend Yatesville Siding (Laflin, PA) - (M.P. 684.0)

Hudson, PA (CP/L&S interchange and MOW siding) - (M.P. 686.0)

North Wilkes Barre, PA (Wilkes Barre Connecting RR Gauntlet Bridge) - (M.P. 688-M.P. 688.4)

Kingston, PA (M.P. 689)

Buttonwood, PA (Buttonwood Transload/Runaround and CP/L&S interchange) "Hudson
Radio Base" - (M.P. 692)

Nanticoke, PA HBD/DED - (M.P. 696.3)

Northend Hanover Siding (Honey Pot, PA) - (CPF 697)

Southend Hanover Siding (Honey Pot, PA) - (CPF 699)

Mocanaqua, PA (M.P. 706.5)

Beech Haven Radio Base - (M.P. 716.3)

Northend Nescopeck Siding - (CPF 714)

Southend Nescopeck Siding - (CPF 716)

Nescopeck, PA "MOW Siding" - (M.P. 716.5)

Mifflinville, PA HBD/DED - (M.P. 721.7)

East Bloomsburg, PA - (M.P. 728.7)

Catawissa, PA - (M.P. 732.0)

Cotners Grain (Riverside, PA) - (M.P. 739.65)

Riverside, PA - (M.P. 742.0)

Riverside, PA HBD/DED (M.P. 747.1)

North Shore Interchange Siding (M.P. 750.5)

Northend Banks Siding (Sunbury "Banks", PA) - (M.P. 650.5)

Southend Banks Siding (Sunbury, PA) - (M.P. 651.5)

Sunbury, PA (CP KASE) "Connection to/from NS Buffalo Line - (CPF 752)
  by K4Pacific

From CP Disp - Track returned to service north of Oneonta, albeit with a 25 mph restriction for a few days. At least we can move two of the northbound trains that have been trapped since Wednesday. Again, our track guys are the best!!

The Chief Engineer took a helicopter ride to survey the railroad. Hear tell there's 23 miles of track under water on the Sunbury Main south of Buttonwood. Lord knows what they'll find when the water recedes!
  by K4Pacific

Binghamton is plugged of course after opening it up. So there's a 22K at Owego and 206 at Waverly, waiting to be accepted at Binghamton.
  by K4Pacific

From Mr. D&H Gordy Smith:

The TEC train caught a defect over the bridge, and upon inspection they
found a cracked girder on a bridge over the creek north of Afton. Luckily
the bridge that took the old main over the creek is still there and is in
good condition. So they are going to take the bridge deck off the defective
bridge and lay it on the unused bridge, then build a shoo-fly to route the
main over the "new" bridge. They are talking 24 to 36 hours before they
reopen the main. Meanwhile no trains between Binghamton and Mohawk. The NS
is detouring their trains via the CSX to Rotterdam Jct to the Pan Am. 252
and 253 trains will stage until the main reopens. As big a pain in the butt
the TEC train is to us dispatchers, it sure earned its keep today.
  by CPF363

Where is the bridge?

Quick question: AYMO turns into what symbol on the D&H? What symbol does it turn into on NS? What are the MOAY symbols on the NS and D&H?
  by malfunctjct

The bridge is just north of Afton, NY at MP 586.1.

AYMO turns into NS 935 on the D&H and 23K on the NS.

MOAY would be NS 934 on the D&H and 22K on the NS>
  by K4Pacific

38T by Elmira with two CP AC units and 8 cars. Eight? Rub my eyes. Yep. Eight. Got a 532 for Bow tied down at Horseheads waiting for the debacle to clear up.
  by K4Pacific

532 East of Elmira at 1130. Must the Afton bridge is back in service on the "bridge line".
  by Matt Langworthy

K4Pacific wrote:38T by Elmira with two CP AC units and 8 cars. Eight? Rub my eyes. Yep. Eight. Got a 532 for Bow tied down at Horseheads waiting for the debacle to clear up.
I guess the short length of 38T today balances out the looooooong consist I saw on Satruday, which (as you've also seen) included a nice dose of double stacks.