• CP Agrees to help with Amtrak Expansion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

Well "help" may be a bit of a stretch but: Progressive Railroading article

One thing stood out in this article:
via CP's Detroit River Tunnel between Detroit, Michigan, and Windsor, Ontario, to connect with VIA Rail Canada.
Would love to see a Niagara-Detroit routing!
  by eolesen

Brownie points to take away some KCS scrutiny...
  by Gilbert B Norman

Greg Moore wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:06 pm Would love to see a Niagara-Detroit routing!
"Been there done that" Mr. Moore; Oct '74

"Niagara Rainbow"

"Once upon a time" there was sufficient business for an all-Pullman "Detroiter". It was for this train and others in like markets for the 22 Rmte car to be designed and ordered by NYC and PRR (can't think if anyone.else had them).

With both GM and Chrysler having HQ's in New York and production in Detroit, Central had a captive market that held well into the 50's. Pennsy really wasn't in that game, their "Red Arrow" was "circuitous".

This was in addition to the NY-Detroit-Ann Arbor-Chicago (Central Station) "Wolverine".

Only problem was, to my knowledge, the "rousting" for customs.
  by ExCon90

To the best of my admittedly dim recollection, passengers from US to US were accommodated in "sealed" cars with no boarding or alighting permitted in Canada so that no border formalities, even such as they were in those days, took place. If they had, I'm sure the PRR would have made the most of it in their advertising; e.g., "no Customs examinations en route." (Also, there was a distinct difference between traveling via Grand Central Terminal - Michigan Central Terminal and Penn Station - Fort St. Union Station.)

Back in those days (sometime I'm going to look up "halcyon") the Big Three each had a reserved sleeper each night in each direction on the Detroiter and their employees booked space through their own company's transportation department, not the NYC, thus ensuring that they could discuss company business without worrying about who else might be in the same car. Nowadays neither the Big Three nor the Detroiter are what they were.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Ex Con, you could easily be correct. I never rode The Detroiter or Wolverine. I did, however as noted here previously, ride the Niagra Rainbow, which had a sealed car.

My report on the "rousting" was quite anecdotal, and stems from 1960 meeting people from Detroit when returning from "the family trip to Europe" (remember, this was before Disneyland became the "family rite of passage") on the ss Constitution. They were continuing to Detroit on The Detroiter (hey, it was the '60's and people still got around that way) and they noted how they were "looking forward to the roust".