• Conway Scenic U23B repainted

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by spinfire

I stopped by the North Conway yard after some hiking on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised to see the new U23B wearing a fresh coat of paint in the roundhouse. It has also been renumbered. It looks like the number is 2820, but it was hard to see.

I got a nice paparazzi style photo: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 075553.jpg

I briefly spoke to someone there who said that Alco S4 #1055 is also due for a new paint job and was currently prepped for painting. He also said he thought #23, the B23-7, was only going to be used for spare parts. I don't know whether this was accurate or just speculation.. I'd certainly love to see the two GEs operating together.

I know the Alco had a charging problem. If it is getting a fresh paint job now perhaps this has been fixed and #1055 will see some good operating this season. It will be nice to see that again.

The rest of my photos from Saturday: http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... y=spinfire

by b&m 1566

Unless plans have changed the other engine (B23-7) is going to be use as well. This was the word that came directly from the operations manager when I asked him. I just so happened to be there when the new engines arrived at the yard along with the 573 and the other 44 tonner on June 5th of last year. The difference between that B23-7 and the one just repainted is the B23-7 needs a lot of work done where the other engine was already in operational condition; it just had a few minor things to touch up on.

by spinfire

Awesome. I suspect then that the "Conrail blue" B23-7 will move into the roundhouse for work soon because it looks like the U23B is basically ready to go. I suspect with the #1055 being freshly painted it will also see some regular use along the Conway and Bartlett runs this season. It would really be nice if all of these units plus 7470 were in operation on Railfan's day... although I suspect they may not have enough engineers/rolling stock/track to go along with all of that motive power :)
  by Agent at Clicquot

When the GE's are operational, what's likely to happen with the FP9's?

Thanks,

* JB *
w.f.p.t. | w.l.s.

by b&m 1566

The FP9's will become (more or less) back up motive power if another engine is pulled out for service work or if it breaks down. The new engine renumbered #2820 (I think) will be the new engine on the notch train starting this season, although the two FP9's will be the engines used in the MBRRE excursion called "The Tour of the Line". Do to the run to Redstone and Hazen they need to do a push pull mode for the lack of a run around track at Mountain Junction (Intervale) and Hazen. Right now the only back up motive power the CSRR has is the F7 4266 which is owned by the 470 RR Club. The 4266 is not running well enough to rely on as a back up engine.

by Otto Vondrak

Anyone get more pics of these engines?

-otto-

by Meyblc

Otto,

I was up there this past weekend and the engine indeed painted, but still in the roundhouse. I could see the front of it from the window. From what I was able to see, it looks nice.

Mike

by CSRR573

i was up there this weekend and the 2820 was pushing and pulliing about 6 cars down to the curve just south of the N.Conway Station. Did this about 5 times then she was hookesup with the 573 for a double-header to conway and back. i woeld of had pictures but my mom deleted all my train pictures od my Digital camera. :(

by trainiax

i woeld of had pictures but my mom deleted all my train pictures od my Digital camera. :(
Mistake, or intentional? In any case I would have had something to say if I were you! Fortunately, I shoot with film.

The new paint on the GE sure looks sharp! I'm anxious to see what the whole thing looks like.

by CSRR573

Mistake My mon isnt very good with technology

by b&m 1566

I got to see the engine this past Saturday when I went on the MBRRE trip "Tour of the line". The engine came out very, very, nice; Sounded like it was running really smooth too. Yup it was use for part of the trip to and from Conway (not to mention they went to the south end of the Conway Yard for the first time in 15 years), and to and from Redstone and just before the 4266 and the 6516 (4266 was the lead engine to Hazens) took us on are way to the notch the 2820 broke off the train at Mountain Junction and ran light back to N. Conway.

by CSRR573

Also in stall#2 of the Eng. house the 1055 is being repainted and is down do th bear metal. hopefully it will be running in normal service this year :-D