• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Calebharris39

I wonder what juicy stuff will be in the wheel report :P
  by Calebharris39

Oh yea def. We all have our own twist of the wheel report findings lol :-D
  by BandA

bpiche84 wrote:I would think that 501 wouldn't operate outside of foliage season, anyways. Again that's up to people that make way more money than I do.
It's above my pay grade too, but I can't imagine going to the effort of restoring a steam locomotive only to run it two months a year. Would 501 be suitable for regular use on the notch train?

Also I would assume they would want to figure out an easy way to turn 501
  by p42thedowneaster

I would think that running 501 on the notch regularly would be a difficult task. It could take a toll on the machinery and the fireman shoveling. I would venture that she stays in the valley mainly and only occasionally hits the mountain for special runs. Even then I don't think there would be any shame in having a diesel along for help.
  by John Smythe

You have got to be kidding us about MEC #501 needing to have a diesel go along with her for help, right? Fact.... #501 is rated for 1,750 tons on average MEC terrain & 1,350 tons up in The Notch. Those are from MEC timetable charts & were in the days of friction bearing trucks, roller bearings make things a lot easier for steam locomotives.

I will surmise that most of #501's operations will be on the Valley Trains, special trips reserved for The Notch where seating will be at a premium, pricing as well.
  by b&m 1566

Like they have done in the past, they would probably have an engine with dynamic brakes shadow 501 and then add it to the train for braking purposes on the eastbound trip down the notch, if not they will burn through brake shoes like they did when they had the FP9’s and I'm willing to bet, will only see 501 pulling the notch on special occasions for that reason.
  by bpiche84

7470 and 501 have similar tractive efforts. 7470 is also, in the Conway Scenic rule book, defined as equivalent to a GP7 in terms of the tonnage rating. What that basically boils down to is that you would see, at most, 501 running alone with similar consists to what you see 573 doing when it runs up the notch alone.
  by Calebharris39

b&m 1566 wrote:Like they have done in the past, they would probably have an engine with dynamic brakes shadow 501 and then add it to the train for braking purposes on the eastbound trip down the notch, if not they will burn through brake shoes like they did when they had the FP9’s and I'm willing to bet, will only see 501 pulling the notch on special occasions for that reason.

Yea i agree! The sisters used to burn though shoes like nothing since they had no dyna. Even though the #501 is capable to pull and handle the grades in the notch, from a 21st century practical standpoint of a heritage railroad, adding a helper for downgrade is essential. By any means getting the 501 back on the grade is paramount with helpers or not.
  by Jonathan

As it pertains to the Planes, Trains and Automobiles event, can 7470 handle the train both ways?

Also, what do you mean when you say that 501 is a road engine?
  by gokeefe

Jonathan wrote:Also, what do you mean when you say that 501 is a road engine?
It's designed to go longer distances at track speed (40 MPH +/-). Versus a switcher like #7470 which is designed for short distance and low speed work (often solely within a rail yard).
  by Dick H

During the last 7470 Trip to the Notch and Hazens, two fire trucks, one from
Whitefield and one from Twin Mountain, met the train at Crawfords to fill the
water tank. I think only one fire truck was used. Does anyone know the water
capacity of the 7470 and the 501?

The Conway Scenic has acquired a 1987 FMC/Valley Fire Equipment fire truck.
According to the firenews.org website, that fire engine has a 1000 gallon tank.
Photo here from firenews.org. The truck originally served Sandown, NH,
http://www.firenews.org/nh/s/sandown/SandownNHexE3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by b&m 1566

Jonathan wrote:As it pertains to the Planes, Trains and Automobiles event, can 7470 handle the train both ways?
My guess and it only a guess, they will have 252 on the east end, either shadowing to Hazens or assisting by pushing on the rear, if the train requires more than 5 cars. 7470 will likely stay on the west end the entire time. 2 hours at Hazen's probably won't give them time to run 7470 around at Fabyan's on the return trip. I wonder if they will stop a Crawford's to fill the tender or push on to Hazen's and do it there, will a full tender make it to Hazen's?
  by John Smythe

MEC #501 Tender Capacity Specifications........ Soft Coal 12 tons, Water 7,000 gallons. One solution to topping off her tank was to make use of a gasoline powered water pump & Saco River water. I'm sure the CSRR Fire Engine is equipped with a PTO that drives a pump that can suck static water & push it at desired force.
  by BandA

Soft coal...does hard coal burn at a higher temperature? Which is cleaner or less corrosive?

I thought that the 7470 was a lower-power locomotive. If it was designed to run at <40 MPH the gearing would be different than the road locomotive. Gearing on a steam locomotive was basically the size of the drive wheel, right? A yard switcher would also have a smaller tender I imagine.

Refresh my memory - the 501 would be typical of what the MEC was running on the Mountain Division in the 1930s??? I imagine asbestos steam locomotive brake pads were a lot cheaper and better performing back in the day than non-asbestos custom pads are today, and so would have been labor, so I assume changing brake pads frequently wasn't a big deal.