• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

Photo by Ryan Bullen:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/624657/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by EastYorkTrainFaan

BandA wrote:That's sad. Is there hope for 108 being restored?
Probably not. Not many places have the money to restore a steam engine from the ground up anymore. There are a few but they are busy with their own projects and maintaining their own steam engines.
  by MEC407

Video by trainern8:

https://youtu.be/4FwSSZWtnBo?t=45s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by b&m 1566

So, did the CSRX aquire the two freight cars from NHC?
  by bm1838

Yes. B&M 40' boxcar 76480 and MEC 40' pulp conversion 1728. They both were stored from NHVT and LVRC days, and owned by the state of NH currently, sold to Conway Scenic and will eventually be restored.

Cory
  by b&m 1566

What does the CSRX plan to use them for?
  by EastYorkTrainFaan

b&m 1566 wrote:What does the CSRX plan to use them for?
probably for display and for use on railfans day
  by gokeefe

bm1838 wrote:Yes. B&M 40' boxcar 76480 and MEC 40' pulp conversion 1728. They both were stored from NHVT and LVRC days, and owned by the state of NH currently, sold to Conway Scenic and will eventually be restored.

Cory
Continuing their long tradition of historic preservation that looks far beyond what is merely profitable. I remain very impressed by the railroad's commitment to telling the story of the railroads of northern New England.
  by b&m 1566

EastYorkTrainFaan wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:What does the CSRX plan to use them for?
probably for display and for use on railfans day
Possibly but I'm not so sure on that, after all they are a for profit railroad. There's probably a need for those two cars, box car for added storage possibly, bulkhead flat car for MOW maybe.
  by CSRR573

What happened to 573s bell? It used to be a steady ding for like 20 years. Recent videos have the bell operating like 1751. Why do the bells operate like this? Can they fix it?
  by MEC407

There is a component between the bell and the air supply — not sure exactly what it's called; I've heard it referred to as a cartridge — which regulates the air to ring the bell. I'm not sure if this component wears out or if it needs to be cleaned or rebuilt after a while, but that's what causes the irregular ringing.