• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

A change as been made to the Bartlett Schedule for this coming season, as service to Bartlett ends in October 19th. There won't be any trains to Bartlett in November and there hasn't been a train to Bartlett in December, for a few years now. As they fine-tune the schedule every year, I wonder if service to Bartlett in April might be next on the chopping block for 2018 and beyond.
  by Otto Vondrak

thebigham wrote:February update:

http://conwayscenic.com/february-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This quote got my attention...
I came across an old file in the office the other day labelled ‘Turn table – No Conway – 11-20-1940’. This caught my interest. Further information – 85’ American Bridge – Deck. E type center 18” wheels, built 1926, No 972... This information didn’t coincide with what I know about our turntable such as a different builders date, etc. I showed the file to Jimmy Moore, and he at once said that was information about the turntable located on the other side of town on the Maine Central (“from Brunswick” should have been a clue!) I have been in that turntable pit which lies alongside the track over on the North/South Road and now I know some more about what was once there.
I just did a lazy Google Earth view of the track along North/South Road, and I didn't see evidence of a turntable pit on the MEC. Does anyone have more info on the location?

-otto-
  by Mikejf

If you look in the center of this photo from Historical Aerials, in the center you can see the trees are in a circle (almost), that is the pit.
  by Otto Vondrak

Mikejf wrote:Otto,
Just North of the siding, near the state storage yard. In the woods, can not be seen from google maps.
Thank you!
  by Jonathan

The schedule of Railfans Day has unusually been posted. It's a little different. You know by now that there's no Notch Train on Saturday and there's one on Sunday.

I was expecting the same schedule (omitting the notch train) what I saw, however, got my attention.

First things first the 2nd train listed is a mixed extra with #252 to Redstone and Notchland. My question on this is where will they run around? Will they shove all the way to Depot Street and run around there? Or will 4266 be on the other end?

Sadly, there is no tripleheader this year. But, there is not one but two doubleheaders with #1751 and #216 respectively to Bartlett and Conway.

That's just some of the highlights for me but I will leave the link to the schedule in my post and invite some speculation on it.

http://conwayscenic.com/schedule-for-railfans-weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by b&m 1566

They could shove the consist to Redstone or tie on another engine for the run two and from Redstone. At Notchland, they could use the siding at Sawyer's then shove the consist to Notch Land or vice versa.
  by b&m 1566

I saw a video (youtube) of this years opening day, and noticed that the crossing down in Conway (rte 16.) got an LED light upgrade. I believe that leaves everything west of Rogers Crossing to be the only ones that are non LED's now.

Did or does the state plan to re-install lights at the two Rte. 3 grade crossings near Twin Mountain? I last saw them in July before the work was done. The state has rebuilt some crossings on the seldom used portion of the White Mountain Branch and has re-installed lights to those that once had them; I'm just curious if they did the same for those two crossings near Twin Mountain.
  by Jonathan

I don't think so, I only know of one other crossing that got redone and that's the first crossing on the way to Bartlett. Let the record show, there are indeed three that I counted that got redone.
1. The crossing above.
2. The 16/113 crossing right before Conway.
3. Rogers Crossing.
The latter has electronic bells while the first two still have mechanical bells
  by Jonathan

As a follow up I miscounted. The fourth one is Intervale Cross Road.

I'm not sure about Passaconaway road.

Does the West Side Road crossing have LEDs?
  by b&m 1566

Actually, I forgot about Passaconway Rd. I can't remember if those were LED or not. Westside is LED along with the other road just south of it. The crossing north of the station was given a crossing protection upgrade in the late 1990's early 2000's (went from two post style crossing protection, to a cantilever for the northbound traffic and an updated post sytle for the southbound traffic), I wouldn't be surprised if they used reused those lights else where when the crossing was again upgraded last year.