• Conventional Cab GE on Friday

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by David Hutchinson

Eastbound thru Warwick at noon on Friday:

UP 9092
CSX 723

Long all stacks.... mostly China Shipping

by rcbsd45

There is a second Q156 enroute today also.... departed Binghamton at about 11:05AM and should hopefully get through Port Jervis before the NJT window closes....

by David Hutchinson

I thought something else might be coming, with only (2) units...... I'll be next to the tracks until about 3:30 PM.....

by scottychaos

wow..are conventional cabs becoming so rare that they warrant special notice already?!
they cant be that rare..I still see them all over the place..
why the specific mention of a conventional cab?

just curious,
Scot

by David Hutchinson

I always like to mention conventional cabs for GE units....... EMDs still have plenty out there............

by rcbsd45

2nd eastboud is by Port Jervis at 2:50 PM, but no report on Power. As the railroad is inspectijng outbound freight, I have to assume there will be at least an SU-99 tonight, if not a 404. As of now, none has shown up on the NYSW property. As for conventional cabs, I think that in a SEA of widecabs, anything thats still "conventional" is always worth noting....

by David Hutchinson

When I was working trackside at Resources, I noticed a ton of 9000 class UP conventionals.... most of the time running in sets of two alone. I think these are C-40-8s. Anyone know why so many of this one UP type are seen on CSX?

by rcbsd45

To answer yor question, to a degree, the UP C40's in the 9000 series are for the most part ex C&NW units. I worked the Q157 from Kearny for a couple of months earlier this year, and I had the same question asnwered to me by the supervisor of the South Kearny engine relay service facility. The westbound trains they normally(althought not exclusively) go west on is Q157, departing Kearny at 2 AM, destined for the UP's Global intermaodfal facilites in the Chicago area.(They have three seperate ones so I'm not sure which terminal they do go to). However, to get to the facilities once in Chicago, the locomotives operate over trackage that requires cab signals, and these units are so equipped. it should be noted, also, that the UP/C&NW cab signal system is not compatible with the system used on the former Conrail system. The use of these units insures no power change is nedded to get the train to the terminal for unloading/reloading/reblocking, and continued further westward travels.