• Conrails Lehigh Line MP 10.0 to 0.0 route?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by wasKFC

On my Conrail map, the lowest MP for the Lehigh line is 10.0. Where is/was 0.0 for the Lehigh, and what was the route from Oak Island? A straight shot east to the water is much less than 10 miles, my hunch is you follow the National Docks to... somewhere?
  by Ken W2KB

wasKFC wrote:On my Conrail map, the lowest MP for the Lehigh line is 10.0. Where is/was 0.0 for the Lehigh, and what was the route from Oak Island? A straight shot east to the water is much less than 10 miles, my hunch is you follow the National Docks to... somewhere?
South of and a bit west of and near Exchange Place, Jersey City and/or just north of the crrnj ferry terminal in JC to the best of my knowledge.
  by 56-57

I'm fairly sure the end of rail at the waterfront was MP 1. In theory MP 0 was on the western edge of Manhattan Island.

If someone can verify this, I'd appreciate it as much as the original poster would, I'm sure.

-Micah
  by wasKFC

That's interesting about 0.0 being in Manhattan. I found some info on trainweb.com about the LV 27th street yard & pier 66. As for the NJ side, I wonder if the Lehigh main's alignment was the same as todays National Docks (from CP Green to some point compass north of Philips street IT), or along the NJ Transit light rail ROW, or some other route closeby.

Thanks for the info so far.