• Conrail caboose to NYS&W?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by OCtrainguy

This past Sunday, a friend of mine saw a NS Croxton local interchanging with the NYS&W at Resources. The NS crew was dropping off a Conrail bay window caboose for the NYS&W. The caboose number was Conrail 24542. Does anyone know what is happening with the caboose? I haven't heard or read anything about it. If it's being used or preserved that's terrific.

by Otto Vondrak

I think I read in Railpace that this was bought privately by a fellow at M&E who wants to restore it for himself. I dont have the details in front of me.

-otto-

by rcbsd45

The caboose purchased by the M&E employee( a personal friend of mine) is a bay window caboose, but a different one. That caboose was kept in Jim Thorpe, PA for several years(also privately owned) and was just recently moved to Whippany NJ on the M&E for further rehabilitation. I believe the caboose in question here IS in fact slated for preservation, but not sure where at this point....

by OCtrainguy

The caboose being preserved is good news!!

One of the many things I enjoyed during my visit to Jim Thorpe was all the cabooses that have been preserved.