• Conrail ACF Cement Hoppers

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by nssd70

What happened to the ACF 2 bay cement hoppers that Conrail had? I can't seem to find any info on their disposition. I have a model that Athearn did and I'm trying to find out if any made it to 2006.

Doug

by Flat-Wheeler

I am confused... I don't know of any Athearn 2-bay cement hoppers. Perhaps something brand new released this month ?

MDC/Roundhouse made some of the older P-S style for many years, and McKean made some of the more modern 2 -bay ACF cement cars. But Conrail was not a roadname they initially introduced these as.

As for the MDC/Roundhouse style covered hoppers, I do believe that most were converted into open hoppers for MOW ballast train service. Where they went after this is anybody's guess.

by nssd70

They were released last year they are ACF 2970(I Think) 2 bay covered hoppers. Thet aren't the old Roundhouse 2 bay.

Doug
  by scharnhorst

nssd70 wrote:What happened to the ACF 2 bay cement hoppers that Conrail had? I can't seem to find any info on their disposition. I have a model that Athearn did and I'm trying to find out if any made it to 2006.

Doug
I have seen these cars in H.O. Scale from Athearn both in Gray and in Dark Red I beleve there are 3 or 4 road numbers of each car.

Any how I can rember seeing the real cars where I live being used to ship in Sand to a near by bottle plant they mostley poped up in the Winter mounths then disapear only to be replaced with the small 2 Bay Pullmans along with Cars from WNFR. Fast forwared to today All I see in Winchester & Western Railroad and Norfolk & Western ACF 2-Bay Hoppers.
  by lvrr325

I remember seeing those cars a few times. What data is on them as far as build date?

The older two-bay cars that became ballast hoppers are still around here and there, the MA&N in Utica has a few and the Finger Lakes has a pair of them; because they're nonrevenue cars they're exempt from the 40-year rule and a lot of them even still have the kit-converted (to roller bearing) friction bearing trucks.
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:I remember seeing those cars a few times. What data is on them as far as build date?

The older two-bay cars that became ballast hoppers are still around here and there, the MA&N in Utica has a few and the Finger Lakes has a pair of them; because they're nonrevenue cars they're exempt from the 40-year rule and a lot of them even still have the kit-converted (to roller bearing) friction bearing trucks.

FGLK now has between 12 or 14 of these cars.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by lvrr325

Windows Live Local shots showed several of them parked on the original lead off the Lehigh Valley interchange at the time of those photos.