• Confusing Trash Train

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by strench707

Hey Guys!

I was railfanning at L'Enfant today in Washington DC and I had the strangest encounter. ABout 12:30ish the NB Waste Management Trash Train came through, which I know to usually be Q702. Well this engineer called out as "F702-19," and he called all 7 signals that I heard under this symbol and contacted the Maintencen of Way Gang under this symbol with them repeating it back.

The three digit numbers seem fine, 702 fits, but I have never heard of an "F" lettered train through DC. Searching F702 on the internet, I come up with nothing. Additionally he called "-19," indicating that the train originated on the 19th even though I caught it on the 18th (today), a physical impossibility obviously.

Was this engineer really that wrong with his symbol, that seems pretty bad if that's the case. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Davis
  by strench707

Also to note, the train was around 75 cars, a bit longer than the usual. ,may have been a factor...

Thanks in advance for any info!

Davis
  by roadster

I suspect you may have mistaken an "S" for the "F" as it sounds like this may have been a "special" move with more than the normal cars. The date of the 19th while running on the 18th is not that unusual. As a special move it may have been planned to late to get the 18th date on the system computer, or several other reasons, including planned for the 19th, the power and crews were available to run it earlier than planned so it ran. Or it could have been an Q702-18 which had gone beyond it's departure window and was redesignated an S702-19 so management can now show an "on time" departure.
  by strench707

While I'm pretty sure I heard F, S does sound very close, definitely more probable of a symbol. Thank you very much for your explanation, that does make a lot of sense and is probable due to the train's excessive length, usually a much shorter train. I never saw Q702, doesn't mean it didn't run but maybe S702 took its place?

Thanks again roadster for your help!

Davis