• Confusing Email from CSX

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tfinch86

I recently attended a hiring session for Carman in Nashville, TN.
There was 3 positions available and the recruiter said 1 or 2 positions might be available a month or so down the road. I received an email the day after the session saying:

Dear Tyler:

Thank you for the time you spent interviewing for the position of Carman in United States>Tennessee>Nashville>Nashville TN.  We enjoyed meeting you and discussing your qualifications for this position.

We will retain your application for this position and you may be contacted if future job openings become available. At this time, however, you have not been selected for the position.

You are still eligible to apply for other positions with CSX.  We invite you to visit our Careers website regularly at www.csx.com.  This site is updated as positions become available.

Your interest in CSX Transportation as a potential employee is appreciated.

Have a safe day,

Does anyone know what this email means. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  by mdr406

This means that they did not hire you for this position, but they may hang onto your application information for if a similar position becomes available. You may be their plan B, and they may contact you if one of the people they hired ends up backing out of the job.
  by scottychaos

I dont see what's confusing about it..it's very clear! ;)
"sorry, you didnt get the job, but thanks for stopping by."

I am also job hunting at the moment (not in the railroad industry, but I have worked for a large corporation)
so I have some advice about the "we will hold on to your resume for future consideration" thing..
yeah..no companys actually do that that. ever..So dont rely on that..
What you need to do is to continue to apply for any and all jobs you are qualified for, even with CSX,
even with any company that says they will "keep your resume on file"..
It might be "on file"..but they will never look at it again..
so always keep checking new job postings, and always apply, from scratch, to new positions as they become available.
dont expect the company will drag up your old application or resume for future jobs..it doesn't work that way.

they get hundreds of applications for every job posting, no one ever goes back to old applications,
they only look at the new ones that come in for that specific job posting...so, be one of those new ones! ;)

Scot