• Concord Inactivity Tracker

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by joshg1

I was going to post this in the New England: NEGS thread, but since I think I saw a PanAm train-
I know other lines have activity trackers, so in Concord we may have an inactivity tracker. But if anyone is interested I heard an air horn about 11:30 pm Friday, and ran to my window with a zoom lens to see some hoppers and an end of train device (red light, anyway) heading south from the Loudon Rd bridge. I don't know where PanAm ends and the state's track begins, but I suspect those were Ciment Quebec hoppers on a Pan Am train.
  by b&m 1566

The passing track is just south of the Loudon Rd. bridge. To the north of that bridge is a switch the one on the right goes up to Tilton and is owned by the state. The track on the left is Pan Am's and they own up to the Concord/Boscawen town line (aka Penacook).
  by joshg1

Thanks- that info isn't on the city's GIS/tax map. BTW MEC 382 showed up at Bow Jct at 1, Tues. I presume they switched the feed mill because they didn't show up at Concord Tower until 30 min later with an empty center beam car. I heard them pass through Bow again at 3. I was surprised to hear a train so soon- I'm used to once a week at best.
  by b&m 1566

I noticed that too. Just before Pan Am booted NEGS from Concord, Pan Am made them maintain the ROW up to Penacook, even though no customers exist up their anymore. There is a picture of 2370 with a flat car in Penacook sometime between 2005 & 2007 on NErail, I presume they had just dropped ties as it was empty. Shortly after that I spoke with Peter's son, who was making his way up installing the ties. He told me as soon has he was done they were going to spray and cut back the brush. I highly doubt Pan Am will do the same.
  by joshg1

About quarter past two I spotted motion beyond the Loudon Rd bridge. It was MEC 382 backing north beyond the run around with ~six log/pole cars. I missed the nice blue engine, but here is a link to a brief and boring video of those cars heading south again: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48094458@N00/7305957768

That is the view from apartment. I can also see about 50' of the former Northern line, maybe 400' north of the bridge.

*Forgot to ask- are these trains NA-1 (or 2, etc)?
  by CamJay

Yes - these trains are either NA-1 or NA-2. I caught 382 with a string of empties around 4:00 Wed. southbound in Manchester.
  by joshg1

12:15 AM in my apartment and I spotted a line of Ciment Quebec cars headed north, so I decided to go down and photograph it. MEC 382 went south to do some switching before I could get down to Storrs St, but I made an awful video in the dark of 382's return and departure. But it has a great soundtrack of air brakes and gently revving diesel engine and I'll put it on youtube tomor- today. At least 20 cars.

It just now occurred to me I could have driven off to chase- another missed opportunity.
  by joshg1

July 1st was a day train I completely missed. On the 18th I was surprised by some switching, so another night without a tripod. Hey Pan Am, how about coming up to Concord in the mid afternoon?