• Concerns

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Engineer James

I was told to post this here. So here it goes.... :-D

I had 2 instances yesterday involving the CSX. I was at a public bridge crossing on the Detroit Sub. I noted the rumble of locomotives and saw 2 GE's (Lead was #8776), and another, (Had to be an ALCO) go across the bridge. HOWEVER... NO HORN! There was no indication that he was coming!!

Also, My father and I were stopped at a crossing in Plymouth, just south of the Diamond. A GE Had its ditch lights on, but NO Running Lights! It also had a Caution Signal for the Route south toward the Wayne Yard, on the Toldeo Sub. It had stopped just after the wye, and after awhile the engineer turned off the ditches. Why was he operating with NO running lights?

Can someone clear this up?
Last edited by Engineer James on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jg greenwood

Engr. James,
I notice you've posted numerous times today. Not in school today?

by blippo

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. There's probably a logical explanation for what you saw.

by natethegreat

Dropout!
The engineer probably just forgot to turn his lights on. No big deal really. Maybe he just didn't feel like blowing his horn.

by charlie6017

And CSXT #8776 would be a General Motors EMD SD60M engine.

by Engineer James

Ok...
No I am at school... Got some free time. I was a just wondering. :-D

by DutchRailnut

We will think of you as wonderboy ;-)

by ACLfan

Engineer James,

Don't let the old crabbies get to you with their "comments".

They just had to take it out on somebody. Lucky you!

Politeness, respect and consideration difinitely are not their strongpoints!

The worst thing is, they're too old to change!

Remember, let their testy comments be like water off a duck's back!

The joke is, I'm probably older than each of them, so age (or knowledge) is no excuse!

Take care!

ACLfan

by GOLDEN-ARM

I will guess "engineer james" is a custodial engineer"???
I had 2 instances yesterday involving the CSX. I was at a public bridge crossing on the Detroit Sub. I noted the rumble of locomotives and saw 2 GE's (Lead was #8776), and another, (Had to be an ALCO) go across the bridge. HOWEVER... NO HORN! There was no indication that he was coming!!

Also, My father and I were stopped at a crossing in Plymouth, just south of the Diamond. A GE Had its ditch lights on, but NO Running Lights! It also had a Caution Signal for the Route south toward the Wayne Yard, on the Toldeo Sub. It had stopped just after the wye, and after awhile the engineer turned off the ditches. Why was he operating with NO running lights?

Can someone clear this up?
First off: Alcos on the CSX??? I highly doubt it. You yourself said "two GE's were in the lead". That leader seems more like a Chevy, than a toaster. Alco??? (are you sure it wasn't Thomas the Tank Engine :wink: )
Second: What is a public bridge crossing? Was there a whistle board for the movement being made? Was there a whistle restricted zone? Why do you even care, really? The subject of foamers being "self-appointed rail police" in other threads, has already been addressed,on this forum.
Third: What exactlly are "running lights". I am also a CG licensed captain, vessels under 100 tons (OUPV 6-pack) and I know what running lights are, on a vessel. Do you mean headlights, number boards, step and platform lights, ground and gauge lights, or what?
Fourth: Caution lights? You mean like flashing yellow highway warning lights, leaading up to a work site? Sharp turn in the road, fog advisory area?
Fifth: Was the train entering a yard, or approaching another train, where turning off the ditch lights, and dimming the headlights are required, by rule?

I want to help, but the questions themselves ask only more questions!!! :-D

by Engineer James

I thought Trains were supposed to at all PUBLIC road crossings hold a 2 short and 1 long till half way across. Or it is something like that.

Ok... I do not think it was an alco. The #8776 was probably the Last unit.

I was just interested I guess. Not really concerned, just wondering.

Main haed lamps were not on in second happening, however ditch lights were.

by BlackDog

EJ, the whistle signal for public crossings at grade are 2 longs, a short ,and then a long, no less than 15 seconds in duration, no more than 20 seconds in duration, until the crossing is covered by the movement. Exceptions include a so called "quiet zone" or no whistling zone as described in the timetable of that particular subdivision. There may have been a mechanical failure with the whistle, I've had it happen to me a few times. As for the headlights, they are to be on bright. Ditchlights, if so equipped, are to be on as well.

As for the headlight being off in the instance that you speak, there are several possible scenerios. Both lights may have burned out, or there may be an electrical problem such as the headlight resistor burning out. Most CSX units I have worked on, the ditch lights come on automatically when the headlight is turned on to bright, but that is not always the case. Maybe the headlight breaker tripped and the crew wasn't aware of it. In the daytime, when in the cab, one cannot tell from inside if the headlight is on or not.

by Engineer James

Well, I know the Engineer stopped just south of the SOUTH TURN of the Plymouth Diamond. Just south of there is the crossing. I saw the DITCHLIGHTS, no running. But, the GE stopped at least 500 ft. before the crossing... however, he had the CAUTION signal (On a dwarf) toward Wayne Yard. Must of had to do something before going south...

Any photots of #8776?

by Aji-tater

You'd better get your thoughts together before you post. In your first post you say it was a public bridge crossing, whatever that is. Then you claim it was a public ROAD crossing. Well???

And first you say the 8776 was the lead unit, then you say it was the last one.

In my opinion, I'm guessing you're trolling to get a problem started and none of this really happened. Even leaving aside the question of whether railfans should concern themselves with what they THINK are rule violations, you have so little credibility on this we should drop it.

Sounds like a job for "Otto The Locker"!

by Engineer James

There were two instances... The bridge one happened first, then later on that night the one south of Plymouth Diamond.

I amy have read the loco number wrong.

I AM NOT IN ANY WAY TRYING TO BE A WHISTLE BLOWER... OR GROUCH ABOUT CSX.

by txbritt

Engineer James wrote:There were two instances... The bridge one happened first, then later on that night the one south of Plymouth Diamond.

I amy have read the loco number wrong.

I AM NOT IN ANY WAY TRYING TO BE A WHISTLE BLOWER... OR GROUCH ABOUT CSX.
Then just drop it then.

TxBritt