• Commuter Rail-North-South along or near I-95/128?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by streetduck

Rte 128/I-95 southbound between 3:30 and 7:00 is usually a commuting nightmare, especially when I-95 North from Providence joins I-93 North(which is really South??).

Has there ever been any talk, or is it at all physically possible, to expand or add commuter rail south and north along or near this highway belt? It doesn't make sense that there's no alternative. The Rte 128 station along the highway is good for parking cars and taking rail east and west but not north and south.

Could there ever be a spur from the New Bedford or Plymouth line heading up(and down) this corridor?

Any thoughts on this?

by SnoozerZ49

Hate to be the one to tell you but... NO :(

by CSX Conductor

The only line that comes close to doing this would be the Framingham Secondary, which if you are on I95 from Attleboro, you would go over whilepassing through Mansfield. The line goes north through Foxboro, Walpole Medfield, Sherborn and ends in downtown Framingham. Then you could hop onto another boxcar headed for Leominster on the Fitchburg Secondary, but thats your only chance at riding South to North right now. :(
  by eddiebear

There are no plans. Several times when Route 128/95 has been proposed for major redesign and improvements, rumors have made the rounds that maybe a rail line might...might...might be studied. However, so far this has never really gotten into the talking stage. The highway passes through some towns with very low density residential development and very low density commercial development. The only serious test to see if any kind of transit can make inroads in this corridor would be (sorry) bus rapid transit.
Ironically, the low density housing and commercial development in much of this area (which would have happened anyway, but this gave it the first big push) came out of M. I. T. Lincoln Labs and all of their hangers on who plunked themselves down in the suburbs and brought some of their work on the war machine there too in the World War II era.