• Comet I set MIA?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by N-Trizzy2609

I rode the LAST Comet I run before they went missing over the summer and well we had some problems before they were yanked. There was a EBA near Trevose, and after that we had some BAD flatspots. I remember when we got Woodbourne the smell of burnt brakes and loud click-clacking coming from the trucks...

My best guess was, they pulled out for flatwheels and found an even bigger problem or used the oppertunity to fix whatever they're holding them for. The Comets are very fragile I notice.
  by blockline4180

Any updates on these cars?? It's been 2 months, but i guess they are still OOS??

Thanks!
  by BuddCar711

Maybe the Comet Is are with the Bomber Swim Team and getting new interiors (after all, this is SEPTA we're talking about).
  by NJT4115

Well, if the comets are OOS, the era has come to an end after 41 years :(.
  by BuddSilverliner269

I only see 5 of the Comets in Frazer Yard. Maybe the other 2 are in the shops?
  by South Jersey Budd

The Comets are getting some upgrades to make them compliant with some FRA standards. I don't know for fact what the upgrades are exactly. I was told they will be back some time next year.

I don't know why SEPTA is spending money on them though. Although I appreciate their historical significance they are pretty worn out. The old seats that haven't been replaced, soft floors, inoperable interior and exterior doors and horrible PA system not to mention the incomparable brake system that keeps them off AMTRAK ( in revenue service ) could cost some $$$ to repair. Would rather it be spent on the IV's.
  by Matthew Mitchell

South Jersey Budd wrote:... not to mention the incomparable brake system that keeps them off AMTRAK ( in revenue service ) ...
[grin]
It's probably incompatible too.
  by Silverliner II

South Jersey Budd wrote:The Comets are getting some upgrades to make them compliant with some FRA standards. I don't know for fact what the upgrades are exactly. I was told they will be back some time next year.

I don't know why SEPTA is spending money on them though. Although I appreciate their historical significance they are pretty worn out. The old seats that haven't been replaced, soft floors, inoperable interior and exterior doors and horrible PA system not to mention the incomparable brake system that keeps them off AMTRAK ( in revenue service ) could cost some $$$ to repair. Would rather it be spent on the IV's.
Maybe among other things, they are converting the brake system to graduated release, which would end that issue.

I can attest to the soft floors; I remember hitting some soft spots while walking through them. Same goes for the doors; you had a 60% chance of your door not opening on the trainline command. Or not closing.

But they did replace the stuffing in a number of the seat cushions before the set went into service in 2008. The game was to hopefully find a firm seat... lol
  by rslitman

For about 15 minutes today, I thought the Comet set may have been back in service. Train 6374 was running with a push-pull set. This train was formerly run with a Comet set but has been using Silverliner Vs lately. I decided to see what was on 6378, which has been using Bombardier push-pulls. 6378 had Silverliner Vs. So for one reason or another, the types of cars used on these two trains were swapped today and possibly for the foreseeable future.

There was a push-pull set at West Trenton on Monday, New Year's Eve, in the 3:00-3:00 p.m. time frame. I'm guessing that it had been there since going out on 6374 or 6378 on Friday and was there until Wednesday morning, not used on what was no doubt going to be a light commute day. I had to go into work for a few hours and drove. But I saw a Silverliner V set arrive at the station as I was leaving work, so I decided to go over and take some pictures of it during its layover. That's when I saw the push-pull set, although it was mainly hidden behind some walls.
  by South Jersey Budd

Yes it was not the Comet Set. It was a regular set of Push Pulls on 6374 tonight.
  by Clearfield

I heard the cars are getting names pained on the sides like the old PRR coaches had.
  by NJT4115

Clearfield wrote:I heard the cars are getting names pained on the sides like the old PRR coaches had.
Are you serious or joking, it's hard to tell. I can see it since Metro North did it to some coaches after being transferred to EOH.
  by Clearfield

Clearfield wrote:I heard the cars are getting names pained on the sides like the old PRR coaches had.
Nautilus, Seaview, Titanic, Lusitania, Andrea Doria, Cousteau and Davy Jones.

I might have misunderstood though............ :)
  by South Jersey Budd

I thought they would be named after past SEPTA GM's ?
  by Silverliner II

Clearfield wrote:
Nautilus, Seaview, Titanic, Lusitania, Andrea Doria, Cousteau and Davy Jones.

I might have misunderstood though............ :)
We need one more doomed boat for the 8th car. How about "Poseidon"....