Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DogBert

Anyone know anything about them? There appears to be at least 8 or 9 of them. I spotted them saturday by just by chance. Were these former west of hudson cars? (I thought they were being stored at highbridge...)

There was also a lot of track work going on, right at tarrytown station and by the old GM site. They looked to be dropping ballast around the new concrete tied track/ Gp35 102 was on the next track over with a sting of slide dump cars...

by Nester

I think those are the same Shoreliners that were stored at Highbridge -- my understanding is that they are going to be sent out (eventually) to be refitted for use on this (East) side of the Hudson. New door locks, refurb, wiring/locker work, etc.

I would also guess (I've seen it but never bothered to ask) that the track work you're seeing is part of the concrete tie replacement project that is underway.

Side Note: Since the concrete is bad, is KSA footing the bill for its replacement?

Nester

by MN Jim

Nester wrote:Since the concrete is bad, is KSA footing the bill for its replacement?
That's a touchy legal subject that's best not discussed here - there may even be an NDA in effect on the subject.

Jim

by Nester

MN Jim wrote:That's a touchy legal subject that's best not discussed here - there may even be an NDA in effect on the subject.
This should not be a touchy legal subject. The MTA has dealt with bad concrete from contractors before (the MTA IG lambasted a contractor [and management] over this years ago when the LIRR upgraded the Ronkonkoma Branch to high-level platforms).

KSA (or Koppers) has reaped millions from the MTA over the years from the sales of concrete ties, and if they botched it, there should have been a contingency in the contract (or the MTA should have sued). If KSA counter-claims that the MN MoW folks botched the installation or poorly stored the ties prior to installation (while unlikely, it _is_ possible), that's fine too -- let the courts (or arbitrators) figure it out.

I personally hope that you are wrong about the NDA -- asking public employees to keep their mouths shut (about anything other than Intellectual Property) is an abuse of the public's trust. If MN is lifting so much as a finger on this project, you, me, and anyone else who lives or works in this state has a right to know.

Nester

by mkm4

Nester wrote:Side Note: Since the concrete is bad, is KSA footing the bill for its replacement?

Nester
From the Newsday Article "LIRR set to replace faulty concrete ties" from July 22.
The ties themselves are under warranty for 25 years, but the railroad and the manufacturer are working out the details of who will pay for installation and labor.
So it looks like the ties, themselves, will be replaced for free, but the cost for installation is in dispute.

by Nester

mkm4 wrote:So it looks like the ties, themselves, will be replaced for free, but the cost for installation is in dispute.
Thanks for the info.

Nester