• Columbia to JFK U Mass

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by rhodiecub2

When did Columbia become JFK/UMass?

by Robert Paniagua

Nope, it was renamed in Dec 1982. Although they should have never renamed it, this station should have just stayed Columbia Road even to today, including the MBCR platform.

by rhodiecub2

Exactly, JFK/UMass is kind of a vague name for a station. Although is still has Columbia under the JFK/U Mass sign.

by Ron Newman

Harvard, MIT (sorta), Northeastern, BC, BU, and even Bunker Hill Community College all have stations named for them, so it makes sense to name this one for UMass. The only problem is that the campus is not really within walking distance, so it's really the "UMass Shuttle Bus" station.

At one time I think Tufts wanted to be part of the Davis Square station name, but that didn't happen. Tufts does run a popular shuttle bus to Davis.

by jamesinclair

Ron Newman wrote:Harvard, MIT (sorta), Northeastern, BC, BU, and even Bunker Hill Community College all have stations named for them, so it makes sense to name this one for UMass. The only problem is that the campus is not really within walking distance, so it's really the "UMass Shuttle Bus" station.

At one time I think Tufts wanted to be part of the Davis Square station name, but that didn't happen. Tufts does run a popular shuttle bus to Davis.
Time to call Hynes Berklee?

by Ron Newman

Maybe, except for the confusion with identically-pronounced Berkeley Street, seven blocks to the east. (Not to mention that the only entrance to Arlington station right now is on Berkeley Street.)

by jamesinclair

Ron Newman wrote:Maybe, except for the confusion with identically-pronounced Berkeley Street, seven blocks to the east. (Not to mention that the only entrance to Arlington station right now is on Berkeley Street.)
Nobody confuses Harvard with harvard Ave

Hynes/Berklee College

by Ron Newman

but Harvard Ave. in Allston is not on most T maps, and is on a totally different line from Harvard Square.

by Epsilon

I think it says something that if you fool with the trip planner, it will send you to UMass via Savin Hill instead of via JFK/UMass...

by rhodiecub2

jamesinclair wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:Harvard, MIT (sorta), Northeastern, BC, BU, and even Bunker Hill Community College all have stations named for them, so it makes sense to name this one for UMass. The only problem is that the campus is not really within walking distance, so it's really the "UMass Shuttle Bus" station.

Time to call Hynes Berklee?
No way, the station should really be called Massachusetts Ave/Newbury St.
Most people use Hynes for attractions along those 2 streets anyway.

by redline43

If they want to call it Hynes accurately, they should open up the exit directly in front of it.

by rhodiecub2

The T should really keep the damn Boylston St exit at Hynes open full time

by sery2831

Back on topic...!

by Carfare

Robert Paniagua wrote:Nope, it was renamed in Dec 1982. Although they should have never renamed it, this station should have just stayed Columbia Road even to today, including the MBCR platform.
Did the Columbia signs remain for a few years after the rename? I could swear that the name was still Columbia when I was frequently using the station in 1986.