• Colorado Springs, CO - coal traffic

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by BlockLine_4111

Noticed many loaded unit coal trains on this line this weekend. Looks like new concrete ties too on the single track section under 25. How many coal trains per day run on this line? Seems very busy, heavily used.

What is the heritage and routing of this line? (I assume this is the same line that goes up 25 to Castle Rock and Denver). The line has Southern Pacific markings on the bridges but the majority of trains are coal and BNSF powered. I did see one UP coal train with widecabs in front, middle, and rear.

Is the line UP or "shared assets" meaning UP and BNSF? I thought the two compete against each other.

by espee

This is still part of the original "Joint Line" between the Rio Grande and Sante Fe. The Joint Line starts in Denver and goes to Pueblo. Several decades back (I don't remember exactly when) the Rio Grande single tracked from Palmer Lake to Colorado Springs. Due the various mergers over the years, the Joint Line now belongs to BNSF & UP, and the class 1's are still competitors now as they were 100 years ago.
After SP bought the Rio Grande, they didn't waste much time in putting their logo on the bridges. (speaking of logos, SP never did cover the Rio Grande on the bridges west of Canon City) The Joint Line IS a very busy stretch of railroad and there are numerous & nice locations to railfan away from the busy interstate. :-)

by BlockLine_4111

As of several weeks ago the SP logos have been removed from the spans over I-25, Castle Rock area.

by espee

SP never did change any of the Rio Grande logos west of Canon City on the Tennessee Pass line. I have even found some No Trespassing signs with Rio Grande. Some of the signs that were changed were not repainted, the letters are just covered over with black electrical tape!

by BlockLine_4111

One of them SP signs would make an awesome decoration for a large basement bar.

by espee

The funny part is that most of the DRGW signs on trackside buildings are just black tape on white background. All SP did, with some exceptions was spray paint black over the DRGW letters.
I'm sure someone already has several in the basements. I know there are a lot missing. The bronze plaque on the Tennessee Pass tunnel was even taken several years ago. That took a lot of work since in was imbedded in the concrete!