Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by checkthedoorlight

How exactly does MNRR keep rider statistics when the majority of riders during peak periods have weekly/monthly tickets? Is it just assumed that when a ticket is bought, that person will be present on a peak hour, peak direction train every weekday, or do the conductors have to keep a mental count of the number of tickets they check?

A while ago I saw an online report of peak AM riderships figures by station for the New Haven and Harlem lines, which was about 5 years old (White Plains, Scarsdale and Bronxville and Stamford, Larchmont and New Rochelle were the top 3 stations, I believe)....are these reports still being published?

On a related note, a conductor once told me that trains 518, 526 and 532, which make stops at Hartsdale and Scarsdale only before expressing to Manhattan, are 12 car trains and the busiest trains of the morning, but only require a 2 person conductor crew because almost everybody aboard has a monthly ticket so it just requires one quick walk through.
  by mkm4

checkthedoorlight wrote:How exactly does MNRR keep rider statistics when the majority of riders during peak periods have weekly/monthly tickets? Is it just assumed that when a ticket is bought, that person will be present on a peak hour, peak direction train every weekday, or do the conductors have to keep a mental count of the number of tickets they check?
Have you ever seen the people walking down the aisle with clickers? They are counting the passengers. They also stand by the exit ramps at GCT counting passengers.
On a related note, a conductor once told me that trains 518, 526 and 532, which make stops at Hartsdale and Scarsdale only before expressing to Manhattan, are 12 car trains and the busiest trains of the morning, but only require a 2 person conductor crew because almost everybody aboard has a monthly ticket so it just requires one quick walk through.
Not impossible, especially on an express. You've got plenty of time to check tickets.

by Lackawanna484

Commuters are train-able

I've seen trains out of Hoboken where the TC may process only one cash fare in the entire car. It used to be Erie side pax all had their monthly and weekly tickets in the seat clips and the conductor could walk the car at a good pace.