Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by pumpers

With all this near-record cold the past 2 weeks, I have to say it seems NJT (and Metro North too I think) is doing pretty well. Especially compared to Amtrak which was cancelling around half of its northeast corridor service near the end of last week (both Acelas and the regular trains).
JS

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited thread title.
  by JCGUY

Not to jinx it, but agreed. Much better than last year.
  by JamesRR

I don't know, there have been numerous delays the last few weeks - some well over an hour, on consecutive evenings. And the unavoidable ice patrols in the Hudson River tunnels have caused delays.

These are unreal temperatures, but they have been taking a toll on the system. I will say NJTs equipment seems to be better handling it this year - most of the issues are between Newark and New York, involving switches or ice buildup in the tunnels.
  by Defiant

There are delays on the BCL as well. All morning trains seem to be a few minutes late. Some come within 2-6 minutes, some are infrequently late by about 10 minutes. Evening trains seem to be running well. Overall, could be better but could be a lot worse as well.

One quick question. It seems that they don't really clear snow near switches? It looks like they might be pouring some flammable liquid and setting it on fire? I have seen a few weird looking fires around the switches. Not very environmentally friendly but I guess works...
  by loufah

Maybe they're propane switch heaters.
  by JamesRR

The 'flames' around switches are natural gas switch heaters. Not sure if they are remotely lit today, but I think in the old days maintainers would go out and open the valves and manually light them. Believe propane was also used at one time.
  by Steampowered

i agree, NJT has done a great job, even when it -7 in the morning. Waiting an extra 10 mins doesn't really affect me. I just wish some more stations had inside places to wait.
  by Ken W2KB

JamesRR wrote:The 'flames' around switches are natural gas switch heaters. Not sure if they are remotely lit today, but I think in the old days maintainers would go out and open the valves and manually light them. Believe propane was also used at one time.
Kerosene heaters were also used at many interlockings.