• Coal Slurry Pipeline

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by TB Diamond

Are there any physical remains of the Consolidated Coal slurry pipeline that closely followed the route of a NYC line to a Lake Erie port? There is mention of the pipeline and the Central's response to it in TO HELL IN A DAY COACH by Peter Lyon (1968).

by BaltOhio

Was it ever actually built? I well remember the controversy when it was proposed, but I vaguely recollect that it was resolved by the railroads lowering their coal rates -- which was doubtless the original purposeof the plan. Anyway, I'd like an update myself.
  by MSchwiebert

It was built, and did operate for 6 years (1957-63) until the railroad put it out of business. It went from Cadiz Ohio to Eastlake Ohio. It would be interesting to know if the actual pipeline was converted to another use, or if it's in a mothballed state still.

I found this link that discusses it some. It also talks about the lone slurry line that is still in use out in Arizona - which ironically enough was (at one time) owned by Southern Pacific Railroad.

http://www.che.utexas.edu/course/che379 ... apter4.pdf