• Coach sitting in Passaic Jct.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by BlockLine_4111

An old passenger coach has been sitting on the exhange track at Passaic Jct. for the past few days.

What is the heritage of this coach and to where is it being shipped and for what purpose or use ?

by Tri-State Tom

Mike -

Need more of a description than 'old passenger coach' to be sure but suspect you saw one of the M&E's Maine Eastern coaches set out by the Suzi-Q en route to Morristown for maintenance/repairs....

by riffian

This does not appear to be a coach...more likely a former diner or lounge car. It is in very poor condition and has reporting marks of SDBB 103. Although almost unreadable, "Massachusetts Central" can be vaguely discerned on the letter board.

by Lackawanna484

Mass Central was the outfit that ran the former Ware River branch of the Boston & Maine near Palmer MA. Served several small industrial towns. The branch was originally known as Wheelwright when it was somewhat longer.

I believe the Pook Valley RS-1 now on the Morristown & Erie was owned by the subcontractor who ran the excursions. There were 4-5 passenger cars and an open gondala with benches

by trainfreak

If i remember right the NYSW took delivery of some Mass. Central cars. Im not sure what types they were but i do remember reading about them somewhere online.

by BlockLine_4111

The coach is still there as of noontime today. From a distance it looks navy blue, maybe grey and cream. But I am not 100% sure. It does not look like NYSW equipment.
  by Butlershops

Just waiting for it's next run. It is under lease to the NYSW T&HS.

by EDM5970

Sounds like someone pirated the reporting marks, if that is possible. Heavy- duty identity theft?

by Lackawanna484

EDM5970 wrote:Sounds like someone pirated the reporting marks, if that is possible. Heavy- duty identity theft?
----------

That's possible, but it raises another question.

When the car was moved to Passaic Jct and interchanged to NYSW, paperwork was exchanged with the owner of the marks, and some accounting of charges, etc took place.

Wonder who those partis might be?

by EDM5970

Well, lets hope that SDBB doesn't get a bill for moving a car that they don't own.