• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by alewifebp

Given the problems and delays getting to this point, I can't see steam being viable. I'm sure the local towns would love thick black smoke billowing out of a steam locomotive on a regular basis. :wink:
  by dlagrua

"It would be great if some how CMSL could find a steam locomotive to run on the line.It would be hard to find one ,but a great attraction.I bet centrel and south America still has some of our old ones we sold or gave away when we switched to diesel,but shipping would be expensive."

I can assure you that this will never happen. The city of Cape May is extremely concerned with air pollution such to the point that I believe the CMSL is running bio-diesel to make them happy. The RDC's currently running are historicaly correct for the line and have been restored to excellent condition, so let's be happy with what we have.
  by hutton_switch

If a steam locomotive were to run on the CMSL, that would bring out the NIMBYs in full force, and be a catastrophic setback for Tony and the CMSL. As environmentally conscious as the State of New Jersey is, and has been for quite some time, I don't see any steam locomotive of any kind running anywhere in New Jersey ever again (unless I'm unaware of one now running there that I've never heard of).

BTW, Thomas the Tank Engine is a faux steam locomotive, intended to fire (pun intended) the imaginations of kids. Though I've never been to a Thomas "day out", as my son is now an adult, I wonder how much effort is taken to mask the sound of the internal combustion engine powering the Thomas engine and give the impression that it is a real steam locomotive?
  by glennk419

hutton_switch wrote:If a steam locomotive were to run on the CMSL, that would bring out the NIMBYs in full force, and be a catastrophic setback for Tony and the CMSL. As environmentally conscious as the State of New Jersey is, and has been for quite some time, I don't see any steam locomotive of any kind running anywhere in New Jersey ever again (unless I'm unaware of one now running there that I've never heard of).

BTW, Thomas the Tank Engine is a faux steam locomotive, intended to fire (pun intended) the imaginations of kids. Though I've never been to a Thomas "day out", as my son is now an adult, I wonder how much effort is taken to mask the sound of the internal combustion engine powering the Thomas engine and give the impression that it is a real steam locomotive?
Actually, there is a Thomas the Tank Engie that IS a true live steam locomotive. The US version is built on a 0-6-0 Porter frame and boiler and am pretty sure that it is the one that ran on the CMSL in 2005. There are also six unpowered versions that are pushed by a helper diesel for operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_out_with_Thomas

Steam engines can also be modified to run on bio-diesel or recycled vegetable oil as is done on the Grand Canyon Railway.

http://www.thetrain.com/Steam-Event-7275.html

While steam is a special treat anywhere these days, I too am delighted that we are seeing ANY service on the line and agree that steam would probably not be in the best interest at this time. Let's not bite off more than we can chew. And BTW, anyone who wants to ride better get down there in the next couple days.
  by CJPat

hutton_switch wrote:If a steam locomotive were to run on the CMSL, that would bring out the NIMBYs in full force, and be a catastrophic setback for Tony and the CMSL. As environmentally conscious as the State of New Jersey is, and has been for quite some time, I don't see any steam locomotive of any kind running anywhere in New Jersey ever again (unless I'm unaware of one now running there that I've never heard of).

Are you forgetting the Bel-Del?
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=75
Scroll down to the end for the picture of the 142 AND Thomas both under fire.
  by hutton_switch

Thanks to all for the information on a real steam Thomas the Tank Engine and the Bel-Del. I don't get up into upper Jersey unless I'm going to NYC, which is why I'm unfamiliar with the Bel-Del; otherwise, I get to Cape May, generally about once a year, but unfortunately, not this year. I hope to get there next year when the CMSL will hopefully run for the entire summer.
  by chuchubob

The Thomas that I said was the last steam engine to run into Cape May was exactly that.
  by CJPat

Aside from the face, that powder blue color makes that engine look so sureal.

How much work do you think goes into keeping her/him clean?
  by dlagrua

chuchubob wrote:The Thomas that I said was the last steam engine to run into Cape May was exactly that.
Thomas may have ran from Cold Spring Village to Cape May Court House. I do not believe that it ran into Cape May City.
  by Ken W2KB

CJPat wrote:Aside from the face, that powder blue color makes that engine look so sureal.

How much work do you think goes into keeping her/him clean?
Other than a railroad provided pilot, Thomas is serviced and operated by his own crew. Probably considerable effort. The other cool thing is the way the eyes move as he chuffs along.
  by glennk419

dlagrua wrote:
chuchubob wrote:The Thomas that I said was the last steam engine to run into Cape May was exactly that.
Thomas may have ran from Cold Spring Village to Cape May Court House. I do not believe that it ran into Cape May City.
Sure did.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2535734 ... 8960QtopVu

Photo courtesy of chuchubob.
  by chuchubob

dlagrua wrote:
Look at the last post on page 6. You are a real "doubting Thomas"!
  by TOMSTV

Nice pictures !,looks like ya got in under the wire ,with a hurracane in the forecast for this weekend.trains lookin good. :-D