• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jtgshu

What good does that do, if its never answered?

And I have personally witnessed how difficult it can be to get a hold of the CMSL, and once you do, following up can be even more challenging and frustrating.

I see that it wasn't an isolated incident......
  by glennk419

Jtgshu wrote:What good does that do, if its never answered?

And I have personally witnessed how difficult it can be to get a hold of the CMSL, and once you do, following up can be even more challenging and frustrating.

I see that it wasn't an isolated incident......

Hey, JT, made no opinion on this one, just pointing out the info. FWIW, there do seem to be regular updates on Facebook for those so inclined.
  by northjerseybuff

I emailed them last year and am still waiting for a response!
  by ConrailRailfan

They are running speeders there this weekend for railroad days, they are departing from the Rio Grande Station.
  by glennk419

ConrailRailfan wrote:They are running speeders there this weekend for railroad days, they are departing from the Rio Grande Station.
The information that I received, including an email from CMSL, states that they are running from Historic Cold Spring Village and that tickets must be purchased at that location.
While they may be assembling the "train" at Rio Grande, riders can only board at HCSV. Regardless, it is great that CMSL will have a presence at Railroad Days, even if in a pared down capacity.

http://www.capemayseashorelines.org/

For all the naysayers, I think this is creative way to (re)introduce some folks to the railroad despite the obstacles that they are facing with the theft and vandalism earlier this year and in anticipation of true train service on the lower Cape in the future. Let's hope this is just the beginning of improved public relations and continued service.
  by rrbluesman

I agree this is a creative way to reintroduce visitors to the CMSL. Do you think CMSL will put out a donation collection bucket?
  by conductor18

Couple of things..... AS posted previously, speeders will depart COLD SPRING VILLAGE STATION. Rio Grande will not be used for this operation.
As with so many railroads operating historic equipment, the best way to support them, and CMSL operations, is to but a ticket and ride!! There should be two roundtrips per hour both days. Plenty of seats available. Important to note that because this is Cold Spring Village's event, CMSL is only a participant and to purchase a ticket to ride the speeders one must have a valid ""Railroad Days" ticket also.
To Trainman102 and northjerseybuff: Asking this kindly....What CMSL email address was being used to contact the railroad? All the current addresses on the website are watched closely and EVERY email gets answered! I can't answer about an email from two years ago, but anything since roughly last November has been responded to in a timely manner. [email protected] will get you an answer usually within one day. If you want to stay informed of CMSL operations, we post on facebook (as mentioned) and we have an email list. If you want to get on that email list send an email to the "conductor" email address.

As far as the old 800 number goes, CMSL is not responsible for the Buena website and they have been told numerous times to take it down.
  by dlagrua

Running speeders from Cold Spring is an excellent way for the CMSL to gain some publicity and to perhaps call attention to the plight of the railroad. Tony is a pretty humble guy when it comes to publicity type events. Maybe it is time for him to take his case to the public. We all need to put pressure on NJT to rebuild the line. In terms of their budget we are taking peanuts. They could have a crew in place and rebuild the damaged section in a few days but will they? It's a long shot.
  by glennk419

Bob, thanks for the pictures, you are literally everywhere. :)

Unfortunately I was not able to make it down this past weekend, were the trips well patronized? Looks like they had a couple full cars in your pix and it's obvious that safety personnel were well in presence.
  by hutton_switch

Did the speeders make it into Cape May itself?
  by chuchubob

hutton_switch wrote:Did the speeders make it into Cape May itself?
A hot mid-summer weekend is not the time to close the canal to boat traffic for several minutes to allow speeders to go into Cape May. On the other hand, a pair of Budd Cars on a weekday is just fine.
  by JJMDiMunno

Guys,
Per the CMSL website, SPEEDERS will be operating between Cape May City and CANAL on Thursdays and Fridays, August 9th - August 31, 2012:

http://capemayseashorelines.org/rcs_f-s.php

Great to see some more action on the CMSL in Cape May County!
  by rrbluesman

It;s nice to see they are running something this year, but why Thursdays and Fridays and not the weekends?
  by JJMDiMunno

In talking with CMSL management in the past, statistically ridership has always been highest on weekdays and lower on weekends when tourists are doing other seashore related things like hitting the beach.

Mike DiMunno
SJRA / SJRAIL.COM