• Closed towers still standing on the LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by krispy

Harold actually closed in either '97 or '99, (think it was summer of '99 can't remember because the bumping lasted FOREVER) but still remains available as needed. The structure is utilized by maintainers, supervision, MofE and the protect crew. Dave, you may have been thinking of F, which went in '95. It may reopen to facilitate trackwork for ESA. Bliss also is available for reopening and is utilized for service disruptions into Penn and trackwork on the Mainline, as a detour for all of the LIC diesels.

Johnny F - it was a little neater (using crews for cleanup) and also easier (epa restricted chemicals).

Van just sucked. You had to sit sideways to take a dump, and I always liked pulling away from the desk and seeing mice footprints all over my boots. I'd just club them with the lock, but it was always a charge for the female operators. Van and East New York went the same time when they put in the new Brook and moved over to the Y'masters. Old Brook is now used by the Maintainers.

by Dave Keller

Thanks Krispy.

I do have F tower on my list as closing in 1995.

Someone told me F and HAROLD closed at the same time, that's why I mentioned I was "advised" of the data.

Hence my request for accurate and specific dates if available to update my "Telegraphic Call Letters" listing.

Great story about VAN! Reminds me of selling tickets at Merillon Avenue using a 7-11 coffee cup when nature called.

Anyone out there have a ETT from 1997 or 1999 and can provide me a G.O. date of "out of service" for HAROLD?

UN BLock: got anything that recent?

Thanx guys!

Dave Keller

by Ricshaw

Is Dunton tower still operating? Is this tower in Brooklyn or Queens? Also, wasn't there a tower somewhere on Long Island that was closed, and now the NCPD uses it as a police booth? Williston Park?

Ron

by Dave Keller

DUNTON tower is still in operation. It is in Dunton, Queens, at the eastern-most end of the Morris Park shops and just west of the storage yard access track portals under the Montauk branch.

The tower that is now a police annex was "LOCUST" tower at the eastern end of the platform at Locust Valley.

Here's LOCUST in 1966:

Dave Keller

by Legio X

The tower in Locust Valley is used by the Nassau County Police Department's Second Precinct as a booth, and, compared to most other NCPD booths, this is a hotel.

by Johnny F

I have an ETT dated May 18, 1998. The station listings in the front show Harold as an interlocking and an interlocking station, but not a block or block limit station. It also indicates that Harold was radio equipped, channel 1 (not sure what that means).

by Ricshaw

The road channel is 160.380. This frequency covers just about the entire railroad.

Ronald

by IslesFan

Johnny F wrote:I have an ETT dated May 18, 1998. The station listings in the front show Harold as an interlocking and an interlocking station, but not a block or block limit station. It also indicates that Harold was radio equipped, channel 1 (not sure what that means).

Is/was Harold equipped with the Amtrak NEC Road Frequency(either 161.010 or 160.920(old freq))?

--IslesFan

by krispy

Harold had both LIRR CH 1 and the Amtrak radio, although I don't remember which channel that was. It was a pain as it had both the road trains and the drill crews down in the yard. I got a kick from one of the older operators who posted me taught me to address the northbound Amtrak's as "New Haven # ---", which cut through the interference pretty quickly.

p.s. 1983
  by trackml2

A little late but...

The old Brook Tower (Flatbush Ave) is still there. It is utilized by the Sig. Maintainers. The new Brook Tower is one track away. Also, I don't remember if it was posted but Pond Tower still stands. This is on the "lower" Montauk Branch and is used by NYAR. This tower was of the strong arm machine type. Used to throw the levers for fun years aftre the tower closed while it still belonged to the LIRR.