• Change in signal behavior at Durham, NH

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Finch

Hi all, I have noticed something curious over the last week or so. The signal by the dairy bar at UNH/Durham, NH now seems to show green at all times, whether a train is approaching or not. Up until a week or so ago, I had always considered the signal to be "approach-lit," or whatever the technical term is, because it was never lit unless a train was in its block. Now every time I cross the tracks the signal (for northbound trains at least) is green. I don't think I'm just "getting lucky" here, because one recent evening I stood by the tracks for 40 minutes while the signal was lit and no train arrived.

I realize there is such a thing as signals that are lit at all times, but does anyone know anything about this recent development? Assuming I'm not imagining things, why would the railroad decide to do this?

By the way, I haven't had a chance to see any other signals in the area, so I don't know if the whole territory has changed.

Thanks

by Noel Weaver

Railroads have different systems for approach lighted signals. On former
Conrail a signal would not light up until a train hit the block before that
particular signal. Here in Florida the Florida East Coast signals light up
when the dispatcher clears the route for an approaching train and even
though the train may still be several miles away, if the route has been
cleared by the dispatcher the signals will be lit up to the limit of the route
that has been cleared. In this particular case, you could see a clear
signal lit for some time before the actual train shows up. I see this
situation often here in Fort Lauderdale and it is an even better predictor of
a train sooner or later.
Somebody with Guilford might be able to tell us here just what type of
signals exist in this particular area.
Noel Weaver

by calaisbranch

I can think of another signal on Guilford where this happens. The location is Petersburg, New York just west of the Vermont/New York border. We used to use this signal to help us try guessing where the next train was coming from. It was always on, no matter what. It's like Noel said, this was normally a case of dispatchers knowing where trains were and clearing the way for the next one that will pass. We once had a green westbound signal in Petersburg, and waited nearly three hours before a train even came onto Guilford iron out in Mechanicville, NY!
Another signal that used to seem like this was the one out in the Scarborough marsh southwest of Rigby. I remember waiting hours for an eastbound to arrive with a green. The westbound side would be red too. I "suffered" many 2-3 hour waits before losing my light without seeing anything come through even with the signal still on.

by Finch

Thanks, helpful replies. Calaisbranch, I know what you mean about "suffering." It was a bit cold that night I was out by the tracks! I don't have a scanner or anything, so for me it often comes down to luck! I will have to study this and try to figure out if the signal is ever not lit. If it's like the circumstances you mentioned, then it could still indicate the eventual passing of a train...I'll just have to be patient. But if it is always lit, it will be a bit less useful. :-) Is it conceivable that the signal could be lit all the time, even if there are no approaching movements whatsoever?

by newpylong

No more cheater ABS signal at MP 436 in Petersburg... its been moved to the east next to the Rt 346 crossing.
  by amtrakhogger

The PAR may have changed the signal system over to "always on"
from "approach lit" or the system may be defective staying lit when
it should shut off.

by emd_16645

East of Waterville is setup so that the signals all light up when anything occupies the stretch east of the yard all the way to Northern Maine Junction. West of Waterville I believe is approach-lit, but there are not many signals that are easily accessed, and there are sections that are not signaled controlled either.

by l008com

Isn't it also possible that there is some equipment parked nearby that is keeping the block lit up? I remember when the trail train was parked parallel to Anderson station in woburn, the signal around there were lit up the whole time. Maybe theres just something parked at a siding nearby, a siding that is tied in to the system?

by sery2831

I would be willing to bet they have changed it from approach lit to being on all the time. On the MBTA as they switch new signals to LED lights they also make them stay on all the time. I am told it's cheaper to have them on all the time than maintain the equipment to make the signals switch on and off.

by l008com

That kinda stinks. From a railfan point of view I mean, it was nice to know a train was coming...

by Finch

Thanks sery. It will be interesting to see how this works out for me...

by shadyjay

Back in my UNH days, there was no signal there, and I can remember some nights running from Stoke to the "station" to see the last half of the train upon hearing the horn from my room. The trains moved slower back in those days... of 10 years ago. Wow.... at least that line has changed for the better.

by Finch

I guess the line has indeed changed. My window overlooks the tracks, but if it didn't I likely wouldn't see many of the trains I hear. They aren't all that slow! DOBO comes through at a full 40 mph or so. Pretty scary stuff from the dairy bar platform! :P

One benefit of having the signal lit all the time is that I have more chances to practice taking cool photographs of signals at night.

by truman

There was a dist 2 dispatcher on a weekends that would line the signals well in advance of traffic. It could be he is working a weekday trick. I haven't seen any other signals doing what you describe.
Something I have noticed, if there is an opposing train or for that matter, any train in a controlled siding and its holding back because of a smoke complaint from the neighbors, you don't get a yellow/green when the signal comes on, you get a clear.

by Finch

truman, you may have been right. The signal seems to be back to its usual behavior now.