Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by jp1822

It's been reported that the Chaleur (train to Gaspe) has been operating with at least two coaches, Skyline/Dome, and three Chateau sleepers. Has a full service Diner car returned for the summer season to make the train more attractive in terms of meal service and amenities? It could also probably use such considering the extra cars that are being handled in the summer (peak) season. Even when the Skyline/Dome functioned as a Diner with meals largely prepared from scratch, it was better than most of the pre-packaged and "re-heat" food that was being passed off.

This train seems to enjoy a lot of local patronage and then tourist patronage on top of it. I'd love to see this train carry not only the Skyline Dome/Lounge car, but also the rear-observation car that VIA obtained from BC Rail (and sits idle largely in the Toronto yards). It could bring up the markers of the Chaleur, even with a combined Ocean/Chaleur, as the trains are operated seperately and there's really no movement of crew or passengers between the trains while they are connected, especially when the Ocean operates with Renaissane train sets. So tacking on the observation car mentioned above to this consist (Chaleur only requires one train set) would seem to be somewhat ideal - or allow for a "premium" car offered to those occupying the last Chateau sleeper (i.e. as a Tourist Class).

VIA has largely downgraded this train's meal service for most of the year, let alone made it a step child to the Ocean, so could a "Tourist" type of operation work, with say the observation car as the extra perk, and perhaps expanded amenities offered here?

Moderator's note: that "rear-observation car that VIA obtained from BC Rail (and sits idle largely in the Toronto yards)" is named Pavilion and has been at the Montreal Maintenance Centre (not Toronto) for quite a long time now.
  by warwgn3

I rode the Chaleur to Gaspe, and returned to Montreal last July. My eastbound trip consisted of a baggage car, 1 coach, Skyline/makeshift diner and 3 Chateau sleeping cars. My westbound trip had a baggage, 1 coach, Skyline, Imperial diner and 4 Chateau sleeping cars. The rear most sleeper was dead-heading back to Montreal.

My guess is that the train equipment is influenced by passenger demand. After a few days in Gaspe, my family followed the eastbound Chaleur between Barachois and Douglastown. We then waited for the train to be turned around before we boarded for our return trip back to Montreal. This particular train must have had more passengers on the eastbound trip, and less on the westbound trip, so they took the 4th sleeper out of service for the westbound trip.

I also agree that the Chaleur would benefit from a park car at the tail end, as would any long distance train. It would be nice to see a park car on the Skeena, Hudson Bay, Chaleur, Abitibi, and Saguenay trains, not just the Canadian and part-time on the Ocean.

We've been thinking of riding the Abitibi, and Saguenay trains, but I've been questioning whether or not the trip is worth it, seeing as both trains are only a single coach car, and baggage car. For a 9-12 hour trip, we'd like to be able to move around and not be stuck in one car as if we were on a bus.
  by NeoArashi

warwgn3 wrote:I rode the Chaleur to Gaspe, and returned to Montreal last July. My eastbound trip consisted of a baggage car, 1 coach, Skyline/makeshift diner and 3 Chateau sleeping cars. My westbound trip had a baggage, 1 coach, Skyline, Imperial diner and 4 Chateau sleeping cars. The rear most sleeper was dead-heading back to Montreal.

My guess is that the train equipment is influenced by passenger demand. After a few days in Gaspe, my family followed the eastbound Chaleur between Barachois and Douglastown. We then waited for the train to be turned around before we boarded for our return trip back to Montreal. This particular train must have had more passengers on the eastbound trip, and less on the westbound trip, so they took the 4th sleeper out of service for the westbound trip.

I also agree that the Chaleur would benefit from a park car at the tail end, as would any long distance train. It would be nice to see a park car on the Skeena, Hudson Bay, Chaleur, Abitibi, and Saguenay trains, not just the Canadian and part-time on the Ocean.

We've been thinking of riding the Abitibi, and Saguenay trains, but I've been questioning whether or not the trip is worth it, seeing as both trains are only a single coach car, and baggage car. For a 9-12 hour trip, we'd like to be able to move around and not be stuck in one car as if we were on a bus.

I've ridden the Abittibi several times (at least anywhere from Shawinigan to Casey) And honnestly, unlike the Ocean (and to some extend the chaleur, which I haven't ridden so far) There isn't much to see, especially before Hervey-Jonction (where the Abitiby and Saguenay splits) Though I must say, anything past La Tuque is pretty nice to see.. Also, the coach car is the last car of the train and you are allowed to go to the back of the coach, meaning you still get a nice view, even is it's not as ggood as a dome car.
  by jhdeasy

In another forum, I read that Via was operating the Montreal-Gaspe cars behind the Montreal-Halifax "Ocean" cars during autumn 2011, and that during the peak Christmas & New Year holiday time, the two trains would operate separately over their entire routes.

This operating scenario is important to those of us who are private railroad car owners and who would like to make a trip to Gaspe with our car(s). During the past haf-dozen or so years, we have had not had the opportunity to do this, because Via operated the Gaspe cars ahead of the Halifax cars in the combined consist between Montreal and Matapedia. You can not have a PV inserted between the Halifax cars and the Gaspe cars due to compatability issues with private cars wired to Amtrak specs rather than Via specs. In addition, VIA will not run a PV behind a PARK car between Montreal and Matapedia, with additional switching at Matapedia to move the car to the rear of the Gaspe consist.

I'd like to make the Gaspe trip with MOUNT VERNON in July 2012, but at that time of year, I suspect it will be a combined consist with Gaspe cars up front, and Halifax cars to the rear with a PARK car trailing. Thus it looks like I may have to setlle for a trip to Jonquierre instead of Gaspe.

http://www.DominionRailVoyages.com