• CERM cabooses at Willimantic, CT

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by caboose9

Hi,

I'm attempting to confirm cabooses at the Conn. Eastern RR Museum, Willimantic. I visited their web site hoping to find a listing of their buggies but did not find such a listing.

I believe there are 4 cabooses at the museum:

CV 4029 & 4052, both wood, cupola models;

NH C618/PC/CR 19882, steel, cupola; &

SOO/BWMX 208, steel?, cupola.

Thanks for your help, Roger

by Otto Vondrak

You may want to contact the museum directly. They are usually pretty good at e-mail.

-otto-

by caboose9

Otto Vondrak wrote, "You may want to contact the museum directly. They are usually pretty good at e-mail."

Hi Otto,

I sent them a copy of yesterday's post and recieved their reply this AM.

Thanks, Roger
  by crij

Roger,

All of our equipment is listed on the site. Use the menu on the left side of the homepage and select Equipment & Buildings. Each piece has it's own page, except the 8600s which share a page.

The SOO Caboose is not ours, a fellow is paying for storage (BWM are his initials thus the BWMX reporting marks), and we are rolling that money into the restoration of the CV 4052 (center coupola, steel framed, wood sheathed) caboose. The SOO Caboose is wood sheathed under plywood protection, not sure if the sidewalls have wood or steel framing.

Take care,

Rich Cizik
MoW Foreman
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226
www.cteastrrmuseum.org

by Otto Vondrak

Say Roger, you've been inquiring about a lot of cabooses lately- are maintaining some sort of database of cabooses? Just curious!

-otto-

by caboose9

Otto Vondrak wrote, "Are you maintaining some sort of database of cabooses?"

Hi Otto,

I maintain a 7600 item listing of "captive/preserved" cabooses in the US. Some are in service on shortlines or tourist roads, others are homes/cabins/guest or play rooms, coffee/ice cream/snack shops, lawn ornaments, museum/park displays, etc.

Every state has them with Hawaii having the fewest - 2 + 2 others rumored. DC has none, but is not, of course, a state.

ARCHES, the national caboose club, published my listings in book form in 2000 when there were only 5200 listed. They *should* have a 2nd edition ready for sale in May.

For folks that want a listing of their state &/or the state where grandpa lives I send them via email at cost - zip, nil, nada, zero, ...!

Cheers, Roger