• Central Square signal issue

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by boblothrope

For the last few months, northbound Red Line trains leaving Central have ground to a halt a few times before getting going. Is there a problem with the cab signals there?
  by Gerry6309

boblothrope wrote:For the last few months, northbound Red Line trains leaving Central have ground to a halt a few times before getting going. Is there a problem with the cab signals there?
Its our old friend the STOP - NO CODE. The signal signal isn't getting through.
  by dieciduej

You can add Tufts Medical Center SB just outside the station towards Back Bay, to the list of bobbing signals.

JoeD
  by Gerry6309

dieciduej wrote:You can add Tufts Medical Center SB just outside the station towards Back Bay, to the list of bobbing signals.

JoeD
The problem is that there is no problem. The pickup on the car has signal until the car starts moving, then loses it. The ATO stops the train, and voila - good signal!
  by CRail

I wonder why that never happens on the Blue Line...
  by MBTA3247

CRail wrote:I wonder why that never happens on the Blue Line...
It may not be because of faulty ATO pickups, but Blue Line trains can suffer the same result from faulty trip arms.
  by Gerry6309

You know why! @#$%&!!!
  by Gerry6309

Gerry6309 wrote:
You know why! @#$%&!!!
Did I blame any specific component?

If the trip arm is up, the signal is red. Period. The signal does not clear until the trip arm is fully down.

The signal turns red immediately when the block becomes occupied.

The trip arm remains down until the prior block is unoccupied.

Cab signal indication can be lost at any location at any time.You can't see it coming, and if you have been running on anything more permissive than a 10 code - YOU GET TRIPPED