• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

Otto Vondrak wrote:You know what's funny? I don't think Ulster County is bound to any particular county executive in the coming election
Well put.......I hope the voting residents of Ulster County won't drink his brand of Kool-Aid should Hein run
for re-election.

Charlie
  by scoostraw

I STRONGLY suspect that there is more going on here than meets the eye. (I won't even ask)

I'm looking forward to seeing the CMRR continue the rebuilding to West Hurley (and beyond).
  by eehiv

The CMRR has agreed to nothing, and our plans are unchanged. The Freeman article misrepresents the CMRR's position, which is to support whatever agreement is fully executed between the County and NYC. As I mentioned before, a new commissioner is coming in and this agreement is a longs ways off, and we will continue to advocate rail with trail until it is finalized. In the meantime we will continue to rebuild track to return to Phoenicia in 2014 and continue our expansion of Kingston passenger service towards the Reservoir.

EH
  by map193

eehiv wrote:The CMRR has agreed to nothing, and our plans are unchanged. The Freeman article misrepresents the CMRR's position, which is to support whatever agreement is fully executed between the County and NYC. As I mentioned before, a new commissioner is coming in and this agreement is a longs ways off, and we will continue to advocate rail with trail until it is finalized. In the meantime we will continue to rebuild track to return to Phoenicia in 2014 and continue our expansion of Kingston passenger service towards the Reservoir.

EH
Mr. Hunt,
Has someone from the CMRR notified the "Freeman" either directly or through a letter to the editor to tell them that they have misrepresented your position? This article obviously has mislead many people that the CMRR has given up all together.
  by airman00

scoostraw wrote:I STRONGLY suspect that there is more going on here than meets the eye. (I won't even ask)

I'm looking forward to seeing the CMRR continue the rebuilding to West Hurley (and beyond).
Mr. Scoostraw, I agree with you 100% on this. If you look at the actions of both the county exec and the mayor, they appear to be taking the position of it's my way or no way. And that way of running things, like a dictatorship, starts to isolate a person. And so for them to continue this witch hunt against the railroad, leads me to think there not concerned about any fallout, because they have some serious support for this trail. (I won't ask or speculate also.)

Keep up the fight boys!!
  by RussNelson

eehiv wrote:At Lasher Road, the plan is to replace the narrow underpass with a grade crossing (which was there originally).
Interesting. Would that consist of lowering the grade of the railroad or raising the grade of the road, or some combination of the two? It also makes life fun because of the very sharp bend on the north side of the crossing. If it's to be a protected crossing, it would need an auxiliary light facing around the bend.
  by eehiv

Saturday, December 21st

On Saturday, in Phoenicia, George Peck will lead a crew starting at 9:00am. He plans use start engine 29 and use it to move engine 407 to Longyear siding. George could use additional qualified train crew for the move.

On Saturday in Kingston, the yard will open at 9am. First run will be at 1pm.

Sunday, December 22nd

Cornell Street will open at 10am. We plan to run the Holiday Train starting at 1pm.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by stevegaarder

It seems to me likely that the erroneous newspaper report came from a misunderstanding of the rail-with-trail proposal. So this would probably be a good time to put out that proposal loud and clear - "we do support the trail - along with the rail."

Steve
  by scoostraw

stevegaarder wrote:It seems to me likely that the erroneous newspaper report came from a misunderstanding of the rail-with-trail proposal. So this would probably be a good time to put out that proposal loud and clear - "we do support the trail - along with the rail."

Steve
And the Trains Magazine article was a "misunderstanding" also? The CMRR facebook page has comments like "You guys gave up too easily" etc. The CMRR can correct this misconception if it wants to.
  by airman00

scoostraw wrote:
stevegaarder wrote:It seems to me likely that the erroneous newspaper report came from a misunderstanding of the rail-with-trail proposal. So this would probably be a good time to put out that proposal loud and clear - "we do support the trail - along with the rail."

Steve
And the Trains Magazine article was a "misunderstanding" also? The CMRR facebook page has comments like "You guys gave up too easily" etc. The CMRR can correct this misconception if it wants to.
Look a few posts up... Mr. Hunt said the CMRR has agreed to nothing.

And remember the judge ruled as long as they paid the bond/fine the CMRR gets to stay. At least for the duration of the lease I assume. And with a legally binding lease until 2016 they should be ok. Recall that the county attempted to vacate the lease and failed. So no matter what happens a judge ruled the cmrr can stay.
  by alewifebp

I saw the Facebook posts today about record ridership. That's great news and only helps your position.
  by Otto Vondrak

scoostraw wrote:

Steve
Trains Magazine got it wrong becuase they copy-pasted the same headline from the Freeman, which further caused confusion amongst the railfans. Here is a follow up that was pasted on CMRR's facebook page:
The December 16 article in the Daily Freeman entitled "Catskill Mountain Railroad abandons plan for Kingston-to-Phoenicia Scenic Train" misrepresents the position of the railroad on the recent announcement from Ulster County. The CMRR's position is that we will support whatever agreement is executed between Ulster County and the New York City DEP. In the meantime we will continue to advocate rail with trail throughout the reservoir area with the new DEP commissioner until the final agreement is signed. No money flows until an agreement is actually signed between NYC and Ulster County, which could take years to negotiate.

In the meantime, the CMRR's access is uncontested as long as the lease is in place. The railbanking process cannot begin without the CMRR's consent, again as long as the CMRR's lease is in place. Without railbanking, which is highly unlikely to be granted by the Surface Transportation Board (STB), and without a written agreement with the DEP, the only access to the reservoir is by rail.

The CMRR has agreed to nothing (it can't, since the county refuses to negotiate with us), and our plans are unchanged. In the meantime we will continue to rebuild track to return to Phoenicia in 2014 and continue our expansion of Kingston passenger service towards the Reservoir.

If an agreement is executed between NYC and Ulster County that limits rail use, the CMRR will support interim trail use, as long as we are given the opportunity to expand both existing operations to the reservoir AND are ensured that the possibility of eventual rail restoration is not prevented.

The CMRR needs to make clear that it is fair, reasonable, and flexible enough to welcome the trail project and share the corridor NOW. However, under no circumstances are we giving up the right to pursue rail restoration in the future.
-otto-
  by BM6569

From the 4/28/68 Penn Central NY Region time table for the Hudson and River Divisions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by eehiv

Saturday, December 21st

On Saturday, the CMRR ran 5 Holiday Specials with all trains at or near capacity with 395 riders. Saturday's crew: Earl Pardini-Engineer, Ray Farrell-Conductor, Mark Glaser-Brakeman, John Marino and Tyler Carelli-Flagmen, Karen Vogel, Ron Epstein, Alex Sorenson - Car Attendants, Walt Otto-Trainman, Dakin and Mrs. Morehouse-Santa and Mrs. Claus, Mimi Pardini , Neil and Kathy Isabelle-Musicians, Peter Fluchere - TA.

In Phoenicia, George Peck, Al Johnson, Dave Heick and Joe Michaels made repairs to engine 29.

Sunday, December 22nd

On Sunday, crews hosted record crowds on the Kingston specials for a total 454 passengers. John Patane-Engineer, Walt Otto-Conductor, Tony Bochinno-Brakeman, Tyler Carelli, Tom Whyte, John Marino-Flagmen, General Trainee-Jessie Gabron, Peter Fluchere-TA, Mark Glaser-Trainman, Santa-Edwin Winstanley, Karen Vogel, Pat Smalley, Alex Sorenson, Neil Remsen-CA, Tom Johnson, Neil and Kathy Isabelle, Earl and Mimi Pardini musicians

Sunday morning, Earl Pardini, Neil Remsen, Tom Whyte, John Marino, Mark Glaser did track work west of C-9 before the first train.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR