• Car vs Train

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by mu26aeh

Car collided with a train outside of Hanover PA on Thursday, 8/28/08. Empty rock runner returning from Baltimore to Hanover. Officials checking to see if engineer sounded his horn prior to the crossing, witnesses and victim claim that no horn was given. No signals at crossing, only crossbucks.

Here is a link...

http://www.wgal.com/news/17323009/detail.html

Regardless of horn, or lack of signals, if it is only crossbucks, radio gets turned off and nearly come to a complete stop before crossing in my vehicle.
  by x1sspic

I suspect it will turn into a "he said she said" ordeal unless the locomotive had a 'dash-cam' to put an end to that debate. Unfortunately these days, cars are built pretty soundproof. On top of that most people fill their cars with all kinds of distractions and responsible, mature, defensive drivers are nearly extinct. It's the same thing when responding in an emergency vehicle - people are so oblivious to their surroundings they don't pay any attention and yield the right-of-way. :(
  by mu26aeh

In the tv report, they mentioned police are listening to a recording, so I am guessing the engine is so-equipped.
  by roadster

FYI, all locomotives are equiped with event data event recorders which show such info. as throttle setting, brakes, horn, bell, direction, speed, amps, etc.. So there will be hard proof of said horn blowing or not.
  by uhaul

Wonder if she could have been using a cell phone?
  by scooterz66

uhaul wrote:Wonder if she could have been using a cell phone?
It could be. Who knows? They could always subpoena her phone records.
  by roadster

You'll notice that the pictures of the car show front end impact damage only which leads me to believe the train was already occupying the crossing proir to impact and the driver struck the train. Since this is in her own neighborhood. Common sense would say that she is familliar with this crossing and lack of "active" protection, which requires the driver to use extra caution when approaching and to "LOOK" before proceeding across. But, being a government official, I'm sure they'll do their best to relieve her of responsibility.
  by uhaul

I've always heard those Volvos are built like brick outhouses. Good thing only the front of the car came into contact with the train and not the passenger compartment, but still bad that the two had to meet.
  by uhaul

Surprising(?) twist in the investigation. Wonder why the horn was not sounded?