• Capital District Trip Report - 4/16

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

Spent Saturday's beautiful weather in the Capital District with a friend railfanning....

1) Started out from Westchester at sunrise. Arrived in Albany area by 8:00 am. Rolled past Kenwood Yard looking for train 169- the intermodal. No sign of it. Heard him calling for a signal up by Crescent. Bagged him rolling through Alplaus. Caught up with him again at Maxon Road in Schenectady, coming over the Mohawk River bridge. Chased him through the city and down to Cole Road in Delanson, rolling past classic D&H signals.

2) Made a pass through Super Steel's plant in Scotia, looking for the power for Guilford's RJ-1. No luck. Shot pics of mothballed, un-rebuilt Amtrak Turbo sets. Shot a pic of Super Steel too (as they say, "Take a picture, it will last longer").

3) Headed over to Lower Rotterdam Junction, where we found MEC 515 and B&M 328 idling next to the yard office. Was this the power for RJ-1? We never figured that out. No one was around, and we heard nothing on the radio, so we took off for greener pastures.

4) Camped out at Lock 10 in Cranesville, NY, for about an hour or so. Observed the recently removed ex-West Shore trackage around Cushing Stone. Rail and ties neatly piled for salvage. Made sure the GM Model 40 was still at Cushing (it is- it blends in with its surroundings so well)! Visit this site for more info:

http://www.ginosrailpage.com/westshore/wspage1.htm

While at Lock 10, we saw the following on the Chicago Line: CSX 7898 plus five engines in the lead westbound with general merchandise. Caught a glimpse of one of those new Guilford/PanAm boxcars! Then CSX 7593 and 7732 eastbound with general merchandise. Then Q-377 with 9047 and 9045 westbound with general merchandise.

5) Headed into Amsterdam. The westbound Q-271 with the 7370 and 7750 caught us by surprise at Quist Road.

6) At CP 169 in Hoffmans, we caught the eastbound CN train in the hole- CN 5619, WC 6597, and CN 5768.

7) Rolled back into downtown Schenectady. Made an obligatory stop at First Prize Mike's on Erie Boulevard for THE BEST HOT DOG EVER. Observed D&H train 413 sitting in Schenectady Station. Checked the timetables and saw the southbound Amtrak #68 The Adirondack was due shortly. Quickly ate hot dog and headed for the platform. 413 was pulled too far forward to get a good portrait, so settled for roster shots- CP 762 in the lead, followed by CP 5794, CEFX 2794, CP 5995. The Adirondack came down off the D&H and onto CSX trackage with 715 plus five cars, and we got our shot of the "meet."

8) Chased the D&H 413 back up to Alplaus Road. 413 switched in Mohawk Yard setting off cars. Shadows started to creep in from the trees.

9) Shot Amtrak train 291 the Ethan Allen Express with 708 and five cars crosssing the Mohawk River, from Freeman's Bridge. The sun was setting, but we still weren't done!

10) Headed back to Amsterdam, met Amtrak 64, the Maple Leaf, with engine 20 and five cars at the station. Waited eagerly for Amtrak 49 The Lake Shore Limited to depart Albany and roll through Amsterdam. Abotu ten minutes after 64 left town, we heard them talking to the NC desk about a stop signal and NC explained her predicament with a switch that wouldn't. 49 was stuck in Albany and a CSX frieight was somewhere east of us- and we were all going nowhere fast.

We called it a day and pointed our car for the Thruway home.

-otto-

by Benjamin Maggi

Otto,
I have been looking for the Turbo train sets in this area. I saw them while driving about last fall and couldn't remember where. Where did you take the pictures, as tomorrow I am railfanning all day and might try to catch them myself. Thanks.

by Benjamin Maggi

Otto,
Nevermind, I saw you posted where they were. Funny story. Today, I too was at Hoffmans and Rotterdam junction. First, on the WRONG side of the river, and all I found were the old torn up remains of some right-of-way. I was about to give up. THen I found the Conrail main line. Yay. Then, later while looking for a restaurant with a bathroom I came across the Turboliners myself. WITHOUT seeing that you had posted where they were. We had taken nearly the same route (maybe in my mind, I was following you.) Needless to say, I nearly needed a bathroom right there in my car as seeing turboliners... the ones I was looking for when I wasn't even searching for them at that moment, was crazy. They need to fix them.

On the same note, I once was invited by the conductor to ride in the cab of one when I was 9 years old. How Amtrak has changed. Now, I would PAY THEM to ride in the cab, but doubt they will let me. :-)

by Otto Vondrak

Yup, the cocooned Turbo's are on Super Steel's property in Scotia. I was surprised to see them there, I guess I didnt realize how many sets there were at Scotia, and how many are sitting in Bear, Delaware.

-otto-

by ANDY117

Hmm... I know where Bear is, my Uncle has a beach house in Rehoboth. I might have to go there over the summer.

by SST

Otto,
I was just reviewing my movie footage from my WNY train ride. My friend and I took the Maple Leaf on Sunday the 17th. Loco #20 was the lead. I have a 9 second video of it entering Depew.....want a copy?