• Cape Cod query

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Station Aficionado

I'll be visiting Cape Cod next month. I know about Cape Cod Central/Mass Coastal and the Rail Trail. Are there any remaining rail-related structures east/north of Hyannis that are worth a visit? Any other railfanning tips (active/historical) for the area also gratefully appreciated.

Thanks much.
  by malbojah

Honestly: No
  by The EGE

Most of the nice depots on Cape Cod are on the west side, or just off the Cape in Wareham. The only really worthwhile bits in your area are the museum and depot at Chatham, and the Jenny Lind Tower (former part of the Fitchburg RR depot in Boston) in Truro.
  by KEN PATRICK

look at the hyannis and otis waste-by-rail transfer stations. the hyannis station is just off rt 6, first right off the surface road. probably see some power shoving cars around at hyannis. the otis thing is late afternoon. politically, using rail to move waste to the burn plant in rochester was a winner. economically, a disaster. ken patrick
  by Bill Reidy

Not north or east, but northwest: The West Barnstable train station on Route 149 near Route 6A is open to the public Saturdays 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and has a nice collection of Cape Cod railroad artifacts. The station is owned by the town of Barnstable and is under a 20-year lease to the Cape Cod Chapter, NRHS. The Cape Cod Chapter has been restoring the station, which is a classic example of the New Haven stucco and Spanish-tile roof style built by the railroad during the first two decades of the twentieth century. The station is 101 years old. The Cape Cod Central stops at the station enroute to Sagamore twice on Saturdays, at 9.25 a.m. and 12.25 p.m. See the calendar on capecodnrhs.org for details.

- Bill
  by Noel Weaver

Buzzards Bay is nicely preserved too. I think the Chamber of Commerce uses it.
Noel Weaver
  by Station Aficionado

Thanks everybody!
  by boatsmate

Noel is correct, the Cape Cod CC runs an office there. the tower is still there also. ( I was there friday and looked around the area)
  by BayColony1706

Ken- You are thinking of Yarmouth Transfer. there's no trash loading in Hyannis.