• Cannonball 2004 - The Return of the 'Cannonball Badge'

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by badneighbor

On Friday night May 28, the 12 coach Cannonball returned for another Summer of Hamptons service. Also returning were the 'Cannonball' signs mounted on the front of both end locomotives. They were mounted relatively low, just above the couplers from what it looked like. Good to see the big hauler back again.

If demand warranted, would the LIRR hitch up a third locomotive to the set to add more seating? Would it, could it happen? I'm mainly asking the LIRR workers what they think. I know physically it could... but would this ever happen??

by Retroboy

anyone got pics?

[/quote]
  by Richard Glueck

When did the LIRR stop running the "Sunrise Special"? In my mind, it was a far better and far more original name for the LIRR's premier train to Montauk and the Hamptons. I would love to see the old "S.S" reinstituted as the LIRR's name train, carrying the original logo on the locomotive and trailing car.

Perhaps when #35 is back in service we'll see the great train run again, as God intended it to be run.

by Paul

My understanding is sometime before 1935. Also, from what I know, in addition to 21 pulling the "special" was LIRR 35 and PRR K-4s 1589. I am sure that there have been others as well. By the way, as suggested by Dave Keller, I came up with a "close" replica of the "Sunrise Special" herald and put it on a Tucan G5. Submited for your aproval. I have a much nicer one on my Bronco, which is I can have coppies made if anyone is intersted.

by Paul

Here is a picture of the Sunrise Special herald I had made for my 1/8th G5. There was a mistake in the printing "Special" is in gold, not red like it should be, so I put them on the side windows of the cap of my Bronco. BTW, they are about eighteen inches across in length. If anybody is interested in having one made, let me know though private megssage. The more I print up the less they will cost but in "ones and twos, there are about $10 for one that is six inches across. I can have them made any size all the way up to full size for a real G5!

by Peanuts

If anyone has any good pics of the Cannonball yesterday as it went through their town I would love to see them...

by Fla East Coast Chris

Pictures of what????
2 six car trains put together..
Not a nice sight :(
Chris

by Peanuts

I have my reasons for wanting to see if anyone took pictures..

by JoeLIRR

Pics would be nice. BTW i had a dream one night that an Iluminited Sunrise speical keystone was placed on the front and back of the train that run's that same time slot today. also seeing 35/39 w/ the SS decal would be awsom I was thinking of a posible magnetic deacl to place over the "long island" on the tender for excursion service.

some wish full thinking wount hurt any one/bussiness, if any thing it may help.
  by krapug

[quote="badneighbor"]On Friday night May 28, the 12 coach Cannonball returned for another Summer of Hamptons service.

Excuse me, but the Cannonball runs Fridays YEAR ROUND!!. The only thing that started on 5/28 for the season was the "Hamptons Reserve" service, and the use of the drumheads. In fact the running of this train on Fridays YEAR ROUND is one of the VERY FEW additions to East End service that the LIRR has given us in recent memory.

Ken

BTW, the Cannonball also runs Thursdays starting with this weekend, albiet without the "Hamptins Reserve" cars.

by Richard Glueck

Still, the "Sunrise Special" evokes a name train that speaks to the essence of what made Long Island, the Hamptons, and Montauk, the resort center of the east coast during the forst three decades of the last century. It's a much more picturesque and evokative name that "The Cannonball Express". It wouldn't hurt the LIRR or the MTA to recognize their heritage and possible rekindle some Long Island pride.
Once the G5's are restored and meet all compliances, running the "Sunrise Special" behind steam once a month would be the ultimate publicity event coup in modern railroading.

Paul, I do like that decal in the window of you Bronco. Is the vehicle coal fired?

by emfinite

For those curious to see the Cannonball "badge", Fla. East Coast Chris and I snapped this shot this morning...

by Fla East Coast Chris

Emfinite stopped by for a visit in Patchogue. I told him Eng was on the rear of 8706 and it still may have the "Cannon ball badge". Lucky day!!! we saw it up close!!!! Great picture day clear weather.
Chris
  by Fla East Coast Chris

I meant to say Eng 403 was on 8706 Saturday and was again on 8706 today (Sunday). It may be on 8706/8705 on Monday (Memorial Day)..
Chris

by Paul

Cannon Ball?
I allways have found this name to be "ordinary" or mediocer at best. Geeeeezus sake kiddies, the train in Petticote Junction was named Cannon Ball and see how messed up "Hooterville" was? Is that the image you wish to portray Long Island??? Sunrise Special. Now there was an image, AND a name. Sorry to have the diverging opinion as far as (ho-hum) Cannonball goes. Paint two units Brunswick green, put the four color Keystone on the side, eight cars all in Tuscan red behind it all and have at it.