• Can I go by train Orlando to Tampa

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Narr8rdanny

The whole discussion of commuter rail in Florida is based on moving driving populations off I-4. Well it's a great notion, IF we can get development to center around the terminals of this railroad. If that happens, commuter rail is likely to gain some success.
But to those who say "Florida is not receptive to commuter rail travel" I say this:
Many who live in Florida do so because they reject the "cliff dweller lifestyle" of those in the northeast. We're not interested in being jammed into cities with high-rises and subways and bodegas. This is why we're not going to give up our cars or our roads or the freedom that comes with them.
We have major population centers in Miami, Orlando and Tampa. But all of them are sprawled, suburban lifestyles. This in itself is counter to the commuter rail concept. We can make commuter rail work in Florida, in specific areas like Tri-Rail has done for South Florida. But as for some European or Northeast corridor-type passenger rail network, that just isn't going to happen here.

Danny Harmon
Tampa
  by Gilbert B Norman

In support of Mr. Harmon's thoughts, here is a piece from a New York Times article unrelated to rail travel that yesterday "caught my eye":

Brief passage:

• One should be concerned about guests who arrive in a car-centric city like Orlando, Fla., or Los Angeles and ask you to pick them up at the airport. That means they are not renting a car. You will be the driver.

,,,,a New York City special effects designer, rented a vacation house in Winter Park, Fla., not far from Walt Disney World. A British couple, a chef and a filmmaker whom she and her husband knew and liked were taking a six-month vacation (a time period that should have been a red flag to the hosts) and asked if they might visit,,,,,” although she was a little surprised when they asked to be picked up at the airport.....
'just in case" you're interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/garden/13guest.html
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here we go, Mr. Coco:

Abstract (fares removed)

• Tampa, FL (TPA) To Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
    Select Service Departs Arrives Duration Amenities Seats/
    Rooms
    $XXXX0 92 Silver Star
    Tampa, FL
    (TPA)
    5:17 pm
    18-AUG-09 Jacksonville, FL
    (JAX)
    10:37 pm
    18-AUG-09 5h 20m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage 1 Reserved Coach Seat
  by Dick H

In an earlier post on this subject, it was mentioned that C&J operates a limo service between Newburyport and Boston MA. Perhaps the poster was being a bit facetious, but C&J had not operated any limos for decades. They utilize a fleet of intercity buses. Most of the fleet resembles the bus shown here: http://www.ridecj.com/schedule.asp

Dick
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Dick H, Change at Jamaica Rodger, simply used the term "Limo" for airline ground transfer service prevalent when he first joined the airline industry. Obviously some of these transfer companies, such as the noted C&J Limo, and for that matter one providing service in Fairfield County, Connecticut Limo, still have the term in their title, even if the vehicle performing the transportation is a bus.

However, back when, say, MY Father first went on an airplane, the transfer from a downtown location to the airport was in a 'stretch" passenger auto customarily known as a Limousine. The services were under the direct control of the airlines to such an extent that if you and your baggage were on a specified run, you had made the flight - the latter would be held for your arrival if necessary.
  by coco60

I am not so sure Gilbert about the train leaving Tampa a 5:17 anymore.It use to.But I have gone past Union Station around that time and don't see it there anymore.
  by Wingnut

^ Thanks for the welcome, Gilbert.

Just remember that San Diego and Los Angeles were once seen as too car-centric for rail to make serious inroads too, but times have changed. Hopefully Florida will change for the better as well.
  by JimBoylan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:back when, say, MY Father first went on an airplane, the transfer from a downtown location to the airport was in a 'stretch" passenger auto customarily known as a Limousine.
Philadelphia, Pa, sometimes also used the term "airport coach" for the taxicab company's version of that vehicle. Was your father's pilot named Orville or Wilbur?
To bring this back to a railroad connection, Pennsylvania Railroad's Transcontinental Rail-Air timetable mentioned that the Kansas transfer was via "Aerocar". (A modern South Florida transfer company that provided connections to Tri-Rail had that term in its corporate name.) Port Columbus, Ohio required no special transport, the train stopped so close to the airplane!
  by Gilbert B Norman

JimBoylan wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:back when, say, MY Father first went on an airplane...., .
Was your father's pilot named Orville or Wilbur?
1909-2001; so that's a "not quite but almost".
  by greenthumb25

Maybe in specific metro areas in Florida like Orlando, Miami or Tampa could benefit from a rail system and then have it connected northwards to other states. Something like a eurostar wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion! its fun to travel in trains

carajul wrote:Does ATK offer a direct rail service between Orlando to Tampa without having to take one of those gowd auful Amtrash busses? What train # is it? I'm trying to see if I can do this route on a direct train only but the ATK web site keeps bringing up a bus option.
First of all, connecting Amtrak buses are no worse than any other intercity buses. They provide invaluable connections where rail infrastructure and passenger demand fail to justify local rail service.

Second of all, the Silver Service train are primarily long distance trains, not a means of local transportation. It's worth noting that long distance trains typically don't provide local service between stops on the NE Corridor either. There are many station pairs connected by long distance trains where Amtrak often doesn't provide local service, or only provides local service when it doesn't conflict with the demand for long distance travel. It would be foolish to accept a reservation from Orlando to Tampa which ties up a seat that might be reserved by a traveler who wishes to travel all the way from New York to Miami.

So, if Amtrak's reservation service allows you make the short distance reservation on a long distance train, fine and good. However,if the system reserves that seat for long distance reservations, you should simply understand that these aren't local trains.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

greenthumb25 wrote:Maybe in specific metro areas in Florida like Orlando, Miami or Tampa could benefit from a rail system and then have it connected northwards to other states. Something like a eurostar wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion! its fun to travel in trains
There already is a "rail system" serving Florida that is "connected northwards to other states." It's called Amtrak.

As far as Eurostar, which seems like an odd example for a discussion on intercity Florida service, actual passenger numbers have never matched the original projections, which goes to show that "high speed rail" isn't necessarily a cure all. I find it ironic that there still are channel ferries and it still is cheaper to go by sea, rather than taking the "Chunnel." Personally, if I wanted to go from Calais to Dover, I'd go for the channel crossing, because after all....it's fun to travel by ship...with your rental car.
  by Tadman

Mod Note: We're drifting pretty far off topic. Please keep it to the original post or start a new thread. Thanks!
  by george matthews

goodnightjohnwayne wrote:
As far as Eurostar, which seems like an odd example for a discussion on intercity Florida service, actual passenger numbers have never matched the original projections, which goes to show that "high speed rail" isn't necessarily a cure all. I find it ironic that there still are channel ferries and it still is cheaper to go by sea, rather than taking the "Chunnel." Personally, if I wanted to go from Calais to Dover, I'd go for the channel crossing, because after all....it's fun to travel by ship...with your rental car.
Here is a BBC news item about current numbers.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8308196.stm It has taken a huge share of the air market. The number of flights has been cut. Sea is for tourists. I have often taken the ferry. The tunnel is far quicker. No business traveller will take the ferry but many are choosing the train instead of air. Oh, and the ferry isn't much fun. It's full of fruit machines, kids behaving badly and other things. If I am going to Calais alone, I will take it. Until recently the train to Dover has been rather slow but a faster train has now been introduced.
Florida does need such a train.