• Calling Signals

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by icgsteve

This question is intended for professional RR men/women:

If you could wave a magic wand and make every crew call signals all of the time, would you? I am thinking of the Metrolink and Chicago crashes, and what I perceive to be a general degradation of professionalism in the profession.

Thanks
  by UPRR engineer

Doesnt work like that Dude. (little gloom and doom from me again) It just makes them want to take the human factor away by pulling us off the trains and making the whole thing automated. Thats the kicker, guys who cant do there job just make it harder on the rest of us. If everyone WERE a shining start there would only be two rules to carry, 1. Dont get hurt 2. Dont tear anything up. Positive Train Control is coming, as is a one man crew. (Unless the whole economy tanks before they can see spending the money on it or no oil to fuel the motors) Human error is just another reason for them to get rid of us.
  by David Benton

I think attempts at crew less trains have generally come and gone . im thinking docklands railway in london , i'm sure the expense and complication far outweigh the cost of a single person moving 100's of people or 1000's of tonnes . but various automatic train stops have been round for years , and should be implemented . just for the savings in lives and accident damage , particuarily on lines with passenger traffic .
  by SooLineRob

icgsteve wrote:
If you could wave a magic wand and make every crew call signals all of the time, would you?
No.

High volume of radio chatter gives me a headache and blocks other important radio conversation, such as mandatory directives, authorities, instructions, and ground-to-locomotive direction/distance instructions.
  by CN_Hogger

SooLineRob wrote:
icgsteve wrote:
If you could wave a magic wand and make every crew call signals all of the time, would you?
No.

High volume of radio chatter gives me a headache and blocks other important radio conversation, such as mandatory directives, authorities, instructions, and ground-to-locomotive direction/distance instructions.
I'll second that.