• Cabs at 30th st station?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by liquidskin

Hi, I plan on getting to 30th st tomorrow at about 10:30.. my question is, are there cabs waiting at this station? Ive never been here before.. so I just wanted to get an idea of what it was like.. Also, would anyone know the avg price of 2 people to the zoo from 30th st? Thanks guys

by Umblehoon

cabs do wait at the station, and it's a very easy station to navigate for its size. You want to exit on the side labeled "30th Street" to find them: if you're coming in on SEPTA, descend the ramp and turn right out any set of doors you see... if you're coming in on Amtrak/NJT, just locate the doors that are opposite the big angel statue. As soon as you're outside of the building you'll see the cabs.

As for cost, I can't really say... I've always driven to the zoo, but my guess would be around $10 each way. Just so you know, the cabs don't line up outside the zoo, so you might have a bit of a wait on the way back.

If you're feeling adventurous, to get back to 30th Street Station, you can hop on the 15 bus (buy tokens at 30th Street for $1.60 each, ask for a $.60 transfer on the bus), then transfer on the Broad Street Subway (southbound) at Broad Street, then get off at City Hall station and transfer (for free) to the Market Frankford Line (westbound)... then get off at 30th Street and re-enter "the" 30th Street Station. A long route home, perhaps, but it really won't take too terribly long and it's actually cheaper than taking a cab.

by JeffK

Umblehoon wrote:...you can hop on the 15 bus (buy tokens at 30th Street for $1.60 each, ask for a $.60 transfer on the bus) ...
Hi Umblehoon! Tokens are $1.30 each rather than $1.60. The only catch is that you have to buy at least two at a time, but with two people riding, the purchase requirement is moot. It's supposedly some arcane limitation that the state imposes on all transit operators, so the two-token rule is one of the few bits of bureaucracy that can't be blamed on SEPTA.

In any case each pair of tokens will save almost a buck and a half over paying two of the $2 cash-on-board - i.e. "sucker" - fares.

A bus is better than a cab.

A train or trolley is much better than a bus.

by blueduck577

Why waste time with the subway and the El? Take the 15 westbound to connect with the 10 straight into 30th street!

by queenlnr8

Umblehoon wrote:cabs do wait at the station, and it's a very easy station to navigate for its size. You want to exit on the side labeled "30th Street" to find them: if you're coming in on SEPTA, descend the ramp and turn right out any set of doors you see... if you're coming in on Amtrak/NJT, just locate the doors that are opposite the big angel statue. As soon as you're outside of the building you'll see the cabs.
AS A CORRECTION. Cabs line the 29th STREET SIDE of the station. This is on the LEFT off the SEPTA concourse and right BEHIND the PRR WWII Statue.

Have fun at the Zoo![/b]

by Umblehoon

wow, my information was all KINDS of off!

JeffK you're very right -- the tokens are $1.30 each... I think I got a little ahead of myself while writing that and replaced the 30 (token) with the 60 (transfer). Also, yes, a train or trolley is much better than a bus, but "ya can't get there from heah".

blueduck -- good call, I'm not really up on what bus routes there are.

queenlnr8 -- did they move them? When going to Drexel, I used to see them on the 30th street side all the time, but that might only have been because of construction. It's been a while since I've actually been in 30th Street Station, as when I do ride the train anymore I tend to go right past it down to Market East.

by queenlnr8

Umblehoon-

For as long as I can remember (approx. two years) they have been on the 29th Street side. I believe that they used to be on both sides at one time, but I think that security shuttered the 30th Street side. There are baracades all around that side now.

by chuchubob

Queenlaner8 -

You are correct. Cabs lined up on the 30th Street side until security measures post 9-11 mandated crash barriers to prevent a truck laden with ammonium nitrate and diesel or home heating oil from plowing into the station.

29th Street side: http://community.webshots.com/photo/101 ... 5512RyTPOG

by JeffK

Umblehoon wrote:yes, a train or trolley is much better than a bus, but "ya can't get there from heah"
Just thinking ahead to the PCC II's, someday.

Although I did notice that the SEPTA website now has a passenger advisory re the use of training cars on Route 15, so maybe someday is on its way - ?!

by liquidskin

Had no problem finding a cab from 29th st... there were tons! Thanks to eveyone for the help, we had a great day... I thought 30th st station was really beautiful... but I guess it doesnt take much for a station to be nice in my eyes when my home station is newark : \

by walt

PRR architecture at its best! :D